Thursday, March 8, 2012

Day 1 in Sydney

My first day in Australia was quite eventful!

The SQ flight I took departed on time and was scheduled to land on time (before 8am Australia time). However, as we were starting our descent to Sydney, the turbulence got really bad. The weather in Sydney was so bad that planes could not land. We kept circling around and around the area for what seemed like forever. Finally, the captain declared that the flight was going to be diverted to Melbourne, an hour and a half away because the weather was much nicer there. When we got to Melbourne, all the gates were occupied so we just parked the plane some place where we could refuel, but this meant that deplaning was not an option. I think we also had to beg the ground staff to bring us food because we had no real food on board. Only a continental breakfast is served an hour prior to landing so that basically meant just fruit so we were quite grateful when the ground staff brought us weird cookies and muffins that were not good. After staying on the plane for more than an hour, we got an all clear to fly back to Sydney. So finally after a 11-12 hours we finally reached our destination... This is part one.

Looking at the bright side, our hotel Park Royal Harbour Bridge is really well located. I was able to catch up with a colleague who was on a flight four hours later, but his plane landed earlier in Sydney, so we shared a cab from the airport to the hotel, then after just taking a few minutes to freshen up, we grabbed a quick lunch across the road from McDonald's in Darling Harbour (the harbor itself that the tourists visit), then we made our way to the office. My life may seem like one big vacation now, but really it's NOT. I work really, really hard. Hahaha. This is the second part.


One of the nice things about visiting Sydney is that I have an aunt and several friends here. My aunt is actually one of my mom's best friends from University and she was always with my mom the whole time we were growing up, so she is basically like family. I was supposed to visit them over the weekend but as soon as I informed her that I've landed, she immediately told me that she was picking me up from work! Since I had to go back to the hotel in the city, we decided to go to Bondi beach. The work day ends quite early and sun sets pretty late here so you can still enjoy hanging out at the beach after work.

The last time actually the only time I visited Bondi was around eight years ago when I visited my really good friend Jay who was working here for six months. The weather was quite good then so I remember that the beach was crowded and you actually had to fight for a spot. We barely got to swim in the beach because the waves were very strong and if you were wearing a bikini, which my best friend and I were wearing, the current would actually pull your bottom down! Hahaha, I am speaking from experience here!


Given the really bad weather this morning, which cleared up around mid-day, there were not many people on the beach. Just the surfer dudes. It was beautiful... I mean the beach, NOT the surfer dudes. I think I like my beaches better peaceful and uncrowded. I didn't have my camera with me, as I did not plan on sight seeing the first day, but surprisingly, my new phone takes good pictures.

Bondi Beach on a quiet day
The other side of Bondi Beach
At this time of the day, you can see the reflection of the buildings on the wet sand.
See how high the waves are? They actually meet the clouds!!! Hahaha
Of course, I need a picture at the beach. Office clothes and all...
The birds looked like the were enjoying having the beach to themselves.
I got envious so I decided I wanted to wet my toes too, in office clothes and all that!
But a big wave caught me by surprise so these trousers need to get sent to the laundry tomorrow.
My uncle who patiently took all my pictures
I like the shadows in this picture that I took against the light.
Me with my aunt on the boardwalk with some guys sparring in the background.
My aunt and my uncle.
This concludes Part Three of my day.

Before calling it a day, my aunt and uncle took we to one of their favorite places for dinner. A restaurant right across from their first home in Sydney. Sorry, I forgot where we went or what the place was called... I am blaming it on jetlag.

My aunt order this huge seafood platter for them to share.
Then she ordered this huge T-bone steak for me, which I insisted on sharing with them...
The steak is partly covered by the fries so it's even bigger than it looks and it was so good.
My sweet uncle insisted on getting me a glass of wine because it goes really well with the yummy steak.
Cheers to my aunt and uncle and my first day in Australia!!!
As usual, I was red in no time!
And this concludes the final part of my very eventful day.

If this post makes no sense, it's the jetlag and the wine talking. Just Saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment