Friday, February 28, 2014

Hello Kitty Cafe in Hongdae is OVERRATED

The first time I went to Korea two years ago, I wanted to visit the Hello Kitty Cafe in Hongdae, which is in the Hongik University area, because I heard and read all about the undeniable cuteness of this cafe, especially if you're a Sanrio fan (which I am). So I expected to be overwhelmed, or at least be impressed by cuteness, which may have been too much for the reality of this place.

I included a visit to the Hello Kitty Cafe in our itinerary because it's just a street away from the Trick Eye Museum which I also wanted to visit. Instead of having a relaxing first day in Seoul, we were on another Amazing Race, ticking off everything on my To Do List because I wanted to free up the next day for skiing, so when we finally made it to the Hello Kitty Cafe after everything we did (which you can read about HERE), I was really expecting a cute cozy place where we could just relax, before we dragged ourselves to have dinner in Myeongdong.


GETTING THERE
It's fairly easy to find the Hello Kitty Cafe using the map from the Trick Eye Museum. Just take the train to Hongik University (Exit 9), look for the Trick Eye Museum. Cut across the street to the parallel street, then ask directions. Hahaha.


If you follow my directions, you'll be pointed towards the small side street where Hello Kitty Cafe is located.
This is what it looks like at night.
This is the view before entering.


OVER-ALL AMBIANCE
The place is quaint enough when you enter.
I had high hopes when I saw the Hello Kitty pastries and coffee selection.
After ordering, you get a buzzer to let you know when your order is ready
for pick up.

While waiting, Sof and I checked out the place.
Across the counter, there's a condiment table with a Hello Kitty pitcher,
cups and napkins. Nothing Special, just like Starbucks.
They also have a wall display of Hello Kitty Merchandise
for sale. Again, just like Starbucks.
There are different Hello Kitty Rooms where you can find a table.
The first room with red kitty chairs was full,
but the pink room was virtually empty.
Sof clowning around since we had the place to ourselves.

When the buzzer sounded, I went to get our order.
Photo credit: Sofia San Agustin


FOOD & COFFEE REVIEW
Sofia ordered a chocolate kitty waffle which she enjoyed.
I ordered a cappuccino with HORRIBLE kitty art.
To add insult to injury, the coffee wasn't even good. 

I think we paid 7,700won (SGD9 or Php320)  for the waffle and the coffee. It's not a lot, so the waffle was probably worth it, but I ended up giving away my coffee. It's not bad it you just stumble on the cafe and try it out, but to go out of your way to visit it is just not worth what they offer.

They also have a second floor, but I was dead tired and so disappointed with my coffee that I didn't want to waste more energy on checking it out.
So much for the novel idea of cuteness overload. If they don't even quality control the coffee art (which is what you're paying for), since the coffee they sell is crap, I don't get why people come here. Give me Starbucks any day. just saying.


Hello Kitty Cafe Hongdae
94-3, Eoulmadang-ro
Mapo-gu, Seoul

No comments:

Post a Comment