Saturday, December 13, 2014

Estrel's vs. Hizon's Mocha Cake Face-Off

If you've noticed, my post on my my dad's birthday just focused on the PIG!!! You can read about the really good Pepita's Lechon with Truffle Rice here. 

But of course, no birthday party is complete without birthday cake, and because the birthday celebrant gets his favorite cake, for my dad's birthday we had Mocha Cake galore!!!

I normally order Caramel Cake from Estrel's for Sofia's birthday, so Mama has been dying to try to order their birthday cake in mocha. Then Tita Maritess and Tito Boy also brought Papa a mocha cake from Hizon's which is also famous for it.

Sof and Auntie Nina performed Happy Birthday
Sofia always gets Auntie Nina to perform with her.
Mama even had a special message made for Papa...
but she forgot to specify she needed a cake for a guy.
Tita Tess also brought a cake for Pa so we were saying they were the
two secret admirers.

So with the two Go-To places for mocha cake - who does it better?
Estrel's is definitely best at icing. Salted Butter goodness!!!
However, my mom ordered the cake with no filling inside,
and the cake itself tasted bland. 
The Hizon's cake is clearly superior, especially
because it comes with caramel icing in the middle.
But, in comparison, the icing is not as good.
To be fair, I really had a sliver each of both cakes before I did my scoring.
An added criteria, which I think is important is ease in ordering.
For Estrels, you need to call them up (the phone is always busy, so this takes a lot of time), you need to pay before hand through bank deposit, then you need to show them the deposit slip upon pick-up. They do not serve walk-ins, and they do not allow you to order on the morning of the day itself even if you call when they open and you need the cake late in the afternoon.
In other words, it's VERY INCONVENIENT to order. 

For Hizon's, while their main shop is in Malate, you can just drop by their store in Greenhills and choose what size of cake you want. They can also write your message on the cake while you wait. 

With all these input, this is how I scored them:



Disclaimer, this is based on my personal taste of course. So for mocha cake, it's Hizon's for me, but for Caramel Cake, it's definitely Estrel's no matter how inconvenient it is to order from them. just saying.


Estrel's Caramel Cakes
50 Scout Tobias corner Scout Fernandez Streets,
Barangay Laging Handa, Quezon City 1103


Hizon's Cakes and Pastries
Food Court, Ground Floor, 
Promenade, Greenhills, San Juan City

No comments:

Post a Comment