Saturday, August 10, 2013

Brasas for Latin American Street Food

We met up with my sister's friends a few weeks ago because Pami, Ady's best friend, is home from Australia. We had to meet up on a Friday so Sofia could join us because we now take school nights seriously. They planned to eat at Brasas, a place serving Latin American Street Food and I was quite keen on trying it, given that my only taste of Latin American food was memories of our one month in Brazil.

Flashback Brazil 2011
I remember the food to be extremely expensive, and everything was salty. Including the rice, but we did have some favorite Brazilian meals.

We loved going to Bar do Juarez for the picanha (beef rump)
which is served raw, and then you cook it yourself.
We also visited the Mercado Municipal (Central Market) in Sao Paulo
for their Pasteis (pastry filled with meat, cheese or Bacalao).
We also went to Liberdade (Japantown) and I remember they
had giant dumplings. People normally just buy from the market and
eat while walking or standing around.

Back to Brasas
Brasas has dishes from different places in Latin
America but nothing really reminded me of our
Brazil staples.

When we arrived, Pami and Looloo Queen Carol, already ordered some starters so we got to try the Arepas (Grilled beef on Corn Cakes) and Patacones (Pulled Pork on Crispy Plantain-Banana Chips). I think they were ok, the sauces made them better, but I don't think I'd be craving for them in the future.
We ordered the Carne Asada Fries for a second round of starters,
and this one was my favorite! Thick fries, with beef and chili,
topped with cheese, salsa and sauce. Yummy!!!
This, I would crave for.
Then for the main dish, we ordered Puerco Asado, a Cuban dish,
with slow cooked melt in your mouth pork, with super crispy skin.
It was served with brown rice and beans and the fried plantains
used in their starters. The chimmichurri sauce didn't remind me of the
Argentinian sauce used for grilled meat that I tried in Brazil.

Ady arrived just as we finished eating, so we asked her to get us dessert to share.

I can't resist ordering Tres Leches Cake whenever I see it on the menu.
This version is good enough.
Brasas at the Podium only has a few seats inside, but they do have
a few tables outside their resto. That's one scary lady behind us.
Sofia didn't really find anything to order on the menu. The good thing is Sumosam is just beside Brasas and they allowed us to order Tempura for Sofia. They even delivered it to our table and brought us the bill. 

I enjoyed our dinner at Brasas. The pricing was reasonable at Php100+ for starters, and P200+ for their main dishes. It's definitely better than my memories of salty, expensive everyday food from Brazil so we will definitely be back. just saying.


Brasas Latin American Street Food
5th floor, The Podium, ADB Ave., Ortigas Center
Telephone: +632 570-5559 

No comments:

Post a Comment