Monday, October 7, 2013

Lolo Ani's 100th Birthday

If my lolo, on Papa's side, was still alive today, he'd be celebrating his 100th birthday. Since he's already with lola in heaven, we decided to celebrate for him instead.

Lolo Ani many, many years ago.
Photo from Tita Ignie's collection

Unfortunately,  I don't have that many memories of my lolo growing up because he lived in Zamboanga, while all of us grew up in Manila. We would spend some summers visiting him and lola in their big home in Pasonanca, and lolo would always have a pig killed (he had a lot of pigs tied to trees in the garden) when we arrived so we could have lechon.

He also had a nipa hut in the garden. It was quite big because I remember that it could fit a full sized bed, it had at least two doors to enter, and there was also a lot more space where we could play. I don't know how accurate my childhood memories are, but I remember lolo napping there every afternoon, and I clearly remember that on one summer that I visited, lolo gave me the bahay kubo. Hahaha, I was probably badgering him non-stop about my love for that nipa hut. Smart move on his part too, since I could never bring home the bahay kubo so it was actually mine only in my mind, hahaha.

Lolo would come to Manila once a month and every time he was here, we had to eat at Lotus Shabu Shabu in Manila. I wasn't really fond of Shabu Shabu to begin with, and because of our frequent visits to eat there, even to this day, I refuse to eat in a Shabu Shabu place because I really remember having to go there often when lolo was here.

I think lolo lived to be more than 80, because when I was younger, he'd say he'd be happy if he lived to be 80, and my mom would tease him that he wouldn't keep saying that when he turned 80, and I think when he did, he stopped saying it.

To celebrate lolo's 100th birthday,  Auntie Celita flew in from the states, and she and papa planned a party at home yesterday inviting all of their cousins, serving lolo's favorite food (but thankfully not Shabu Shabu).

Lolo's favorite food.
No party for lolo is complete without the pig.
Lolo, how I wish you got to meet Sofia. I am sure if you were still alive, she would get you to give her your bahay kubo, then I would have had to remind you that you already gave it to me. Hahaha.
Ma also made mango salsa which is what I ate since
lolo and I don't really have the same taste in food.
We had lolo's party yesterday so more people could come.
It was also Tita Ignie's birthday so she brought the cake
and she was cutting it for lolo.
Ninong Tinggot is not in the picture because he thought it was a dinner party, and he flew in from Zamboanga, so he arrived just as everyone else were leaving.

We don't get to see Papa's side of the family a lot so getting together is always fun.


I prepared a full set of (Unilever) prizes for a moon cake dice game, which we introduced to Papa's side of the family. It entertained everyone to play for shampoo while waiting for Ninong.
The chrome dice came in handy once again.
Thanks Auntie Stell, Papa, Mig and Timmy for donating it to us.

Auntie Celit also prepared giveaways so everyone went home full and happy.
Ani San Agustin
100 years - October 7, 2013

Happy Birthday Lolo! I hope you enjoyed your party.

In the interest of fairness, I need to start thinking about stories about Lola Racel for her 100th birthday on October 10, 2016. just saying.


No comments:

Post a Comment