Sunday, June 12, 2016

Hipster Brunch at Tiong Bahru Bakery

When I lived in Singapore, things were very different. 

Uber was not yet born, so one of hardest things about life in Singapore, when compared to life in Manila was trying to find a cab when you really need one, like when you're stuck in the middle of nowhere and it rains.

E-Commerce was in it's infancy stage. We had to go to the store when we needed something, while now there is Redmart for your groceries (especially the heavy ones), and a lot of other mobile services that don't even require you to step out of the comfort of your home.

Hipster wasn't a buzzword. Or maybe I just wasn't hip enough...
and Tiong Bahru was just a neighborhood where the bus passed on my way from our River Valley Flat to Ikea Alexandra or to my office.

Now, Tiong Bahru is known as a hipster neighborhood with a lot of cozy cafes and restaurants amidst what looks like very residential buildings. I was keen to see it for myself so I am glad that I found some time to go for brunch.

I visited Tiong Bahru bakery, as it has been written up as the source of the best croissants in Singapore. 


The place is packed even if you come for brunch on a weekday, with a good crowd of locals and foreigners. They don't really encourage you to work here though, as they don't even have free WiFi, but I did so anyway tethered on the mobile data through my phone.


I couldn't really decide what I wanted to have because I literally wanted something for brunch, meaning it had to be enough to sustain me till dinner. I noticed that if you want a more hearty meal, they only offer you their savoury croissants or bestselling sandwiches. 

I ended up settling for this spread:
The Quiche Lorraine was ok, but still nothing to match the best quiche ever
that I had from Montmartre in Paris.
The level 3 Lemon Tart was spot on! 
The flat white was good.
Though the croissants... I must say, they were a bit of
a disappointment. It was too heavy and not buttery enough
for my taste. Because I like my croissants light, flaky
and buttery... to make it worth all the calories.
Jam and Condiments station.
Cheers!

Over-all, it was a good brunch experience, with good coffee, great ambiance, acceptable food, and a great people watching experience. They don't encourage you to stay and loiter though, they don't even have Wi-Fi, so if you plan to work from here which I did, just bring your mobile connection and tethering device and you'll be fine.

I've been told the neighborhood is known for hipster hang-outs, but you may need to refer to a map as the place is still highly residential, with some spots of potentially cool places.
It felt like a blast from the past when I headed to the main road to realize
that this community was just behind the road from where the bus used to pass.

I can't wait to try more hidden gems on my next trips to Singapore. I am just hoping that next time I find more places that have food that's a good as the ambiance. just saying.

Tiong Bahru Bakery
56 Eng Hoon Street, #01-70, 
Singapore 160056

No comments:

Post a Comment