Saturday, November 9, 2013

Saveur, affordable French Food, now also in Far East Plaza

When I lived in Singapore,  there was a trend of making French cuisine,  available to the masses,  at close to hawker prices. I loved trying out these places, especially if the place is known to have foie gras on the menu, because normally it costs really cheap (compared to the high end French places).

One of my all time favorite French Hawker places is Le Cuison. They used to be located at a hawker center near Bugis, but they moved around a year ago, to a less central location at a hawker center near Buona Vista MRT. I didn't get to visit them on this trip but you can read about Le Cuison here.

The other affordable French place we tried before was Saveur on Purvis Street (near City Hall). You can read my previous post about Saveur here.

The difference between Le Cuison and Saveur is that Le Cuison is literally a hawker stall selling yummy French food, while Saveur is actually it's own restaurant,  with an affordable French menu. My impression of Saveur from my visit a year ago was while some dishes were good, I remembered their servings to be really small (very authentic French in that sense).

When my friend,  Tim, told me that they opened a branch in Far East Plaza, I knew we had to go so I could have my cheap foie gras fix.
Saveur's new branch is on the ground floor of Far East Plaza.
It's right in front, so you won't even have to enter the mall to find it.

We were quite surprised there was no line for Sunday dinner.
They have an automatic queuing system,
So you just get a call when your table is ready.
We didn't have to wait long for our table.

Because of our impression that the servings are small, we ordered quite a lot of food.

I wasn't sure if Sofia would like the food so we got her two Chicken and Mushroom Puffs from Old Chang Kee to snack on.

Surprisingly, she liked the
Mushroom Cappuccino Soup SG$4.50
She also liked the Chicken Duck Confit SG$10.90
The portion is much bigger than I remember,
But I thought that they used to serve this with crunchy skin.
They prepare foie gras two ways as a starter. I ordered the one I was sure I liked.
Foie Gras with lentils and pickled onions SG$7.90
I saveur-ed this all by myself.  Pun intended!
For our main dishes, we ordered everything interesting in the menu to share.
Sea Bass with Crab meat SG$14.90
I'm not fond of fish so Tim and Ady ate this.
 They finished everything so it must be good.
Pork Belly with lentils and soft boiled egg SG$10.90
Like the duck, this seemed bigger, but the skin used to be crisp.
Though it still tasted flavorful, and the pork melts in your mouth.
We ordered Lamb good for two SG$29.90
It was a very big serving, we didn't get to finish it.
It came with potatoes,  mushrooms and veggies,
but it also goes really well with a side order of potato gratin SG$3
From what I remember, the Far East Plaza branch has nicer ambiance. 

Tim originally planned to order dessert,  but because the servings were bigger than what we expected, we were just too full (We even brought home part of the lamb!). Our bill inclusive of taxes and service charge was SG$99.90 for the four of us, but we ordered food for five with 2 starters (no drinks and dessert).

I think it's very good value for the quality of the food especially since I love foie gras. just saying.


Saveur
14 Scotts Road
Far East Plaza #01-07B
Singapore

No comments:

Post a Comment