Friday, October 28, 2016

The Original Salted Egg Croissant from Urban Bakery Hong Kong

When we were in Hong Kong, one of the things I absolutely had to try was the Original Version of the Salted Egg Croissant from Urban Bakery. We were eating so much, you can read about how we ate five times a day here, that we had to settle for buying a Salted Egg Croissant from the Urban Bakery stall in the Supermarket at Hysan Place in Causeway Bay, just to try it.

The salted egg croissant is so popular, they now have 2 variations of it.
Molten Salted Egg Yolk Custard, and Molten Salted Egg Yolk Ball Law,
whatever that is, which may be the crumb paste on the croissant.
I opted for the original one which looks dusted with powdered sugar
because the person there said that the new product was sweeter.
Urban Bakery at Hysan Mall has the usual freshly baked bread assortment
and they also have a counter where you can order these delicious looking
sandwiches that they will make for you while you wait.
It's just a pity they don't have any seating.

The Quiche and Dessert also looked yummy.


I only bought one croissant (HK$22) to take away, but I asked them to heat it, because I brought it up to Cafe Habitu to share with Ady.
I don't know if it wasn't hot enough, but the Salted Egg wasn't oozing out
of the center. 
But compared to other Salted Egg Croissants I have tried, these ones
are filled to the brim when you get to the two pointy ends.

Taste-wise, their filling tastes like the normal Salted Egg Custard that is on the sweet-side, which isn't bad on it's own, but I don't think the powdered sugar crust is necessary. Now that I've tried it, I can definitely say that Antoinette's adaptation of this is much better, you can read about that here and you definitely must try it if you're in Singapore. But if you're already in Hong Kong, go for the Salted Egg French Toast of Chau Kee instead, which you can read about here.

I still think Urban Bakery is worth a visit next time. I want to try their Quiche, but I think I'll go to their actual coffee shop, so I can enjoy it with hopefully good coffee too. just saying.


Urban Bakery
Jasons‧Food & Living 
B2/F, Hysan Place 
500 Hennessy Road 
Causeway Bay, Hong Kong

No comments:

Post a Comment