Sunday, August 12, 2012

My little Gymnast in the making

I have a little gymnast in the making.

The week before last, Sofia went on a field trip with her classmates to Club Gymastica. It made such an impression on her that she went home showing everyone the stunts she learned, going as far as attempting to teach our helpers at home (who take turns doing nanny duty). I was actually one of the last to find out because I was staying at Oakwood, while she would go home on some nights to spend time with her grand parents.

I was so thrilled when I saw Sofia do her tumbling trick so enthusiastically. She would even attempt (and succeed at times) in doing doubles!


I immediately asked her if she wanted to take lessons and she gave me a resounding yes, so I called Club Gymnastica to inquire and added it to my to do list to enroll her and bring her for the first class when I had the time. It's a good thing the rains have stopped because I got to do that today. 

I just called Club Gymnastica again to ask if they were open, and if they had a toddler class I could bring Sofia to attend today. The schedule that I prefer is once a week on a weekday after school, but I wanted to see for myself what we were signing up for, and if Sofia really enjoyed it, before I just shipped her off with her nanny. Club Gymnastica was very flexible, they told me that I could enroll her and she could already attend the 1:00-3:00pm toddler class today. I arrived a few minutes early, but instead of hassling me with the paperwork, they immediately led my daughter to join the class, so that we could try it out first before committing to anything.

Water break after the warm up run.
As you can see, this little girl is HAPPY!
The gym is busy with a lot of on-going classes
so the kids form a train when they go anywhere.
Let's play Where's Fifi? (as in the look for Wally game!)
I was so proud to see her walk by herself on the beam!
I went a little bit closer to get a better shot.
They also had some trampoline exercises.
I took this photo while she was waiting for her turn.
They are asked to do different kinds of jumps.
Ready... Set... Jump!!!
Then they also do circle time on the trampoline
 where coach jumps up and down, and so do they!

I was able to video some parts.



After the activities, they do cool down exercises.
Then they get a very good and gymnast "ta da" stamp.

We signed up for once a week classes immediately after. They charge Php500 for one-time registration, then Php1,500/month for once a week classes. They also sell leotards, however, the pickings were very slim and a basic outfit for practice (leotard, cycling shorts and hair tie) was Php1000 while the really nice uniform of the Philippine Team (old design) was Php1,800. It looked very nice, but it was a size too small for Sofia, and it seemed too flashy for classes.

Since shopping was on my errand list after Cliub Gymnastica, I went to the Department Store in MarketMarket to check if they had anything basic that Sofia could use for class.

I was happy to discover that they have an
extensive leotard selection mainly for Ballet.
I bought a basic black one for Sofia for Php120.
(around SG$3.50 only) It was such a steal! 
Sofia wasn't really happy with it,
but she didn't realize that I envisioned it like this.
I bought her cropped leggings with metallic dots
and another pair with stars for only Php50 each.
That's around SG$1.50. Also such a steal.

When I asked Sofia to try on her gymnastics outfit after I bathed her, she was so happy with the way it came out that asked me if she could sleep in it, and when I said no, she bargained if I would allow her puh-leeeez, even if only for tonight. Of course, I gave in.

It put her in such a gymnastics mood that she kept doing tricks she's learned and reenacting her class this afternoon for her Ninang.

Flapping the legs and arms, like a butterfly.
Attempting to do a bridge.

Club Gymnastica is at 10 Brixton Street
(a few buildings away of PC Supermarket in Pioneer St.)
Phone +63 2 6352553

Sofia really had fun She is now snoring beside me wearing her leotards and leggings. For all you know, this could be the start in the making of an Olympic medalist. Hahaha. It's free to dream. At dinner today, I asked my mom, "How come you didn't enroll me and my sister for anything fun like gymnastics? I would have loved to be a gymnast". Her answer was silence. Hahaha.

No comments:

Post a Comment