Thursday, July 4, 2013

Ukkokei Ramen on a Rainy Day

The best thing to do on a Rainy Day is to snuggle under the covers with a good book or just sleep the whole day. If you can't do that because you need to be at work, having a hearty bowl of Ramen (or noodles) for lunch comes a close second.

Yesterday was very gloomy. The only bright side was that Karl and I had a window in our schedule which allowed us to go to Ukkokei for lunch.

I first tried Ukkokei (on Pasay Road) a few years back when I still lived in Singapore. I wasn't really a fan because I was comparing it to the Ippudo standard. However, I decided to give it another chance after I heard rumors that the Makati branch was closed temporarily (it's open again) because the Ramen Nazi refused to serve an ex-President when the number of bowls they allocate to sell in a day had already run out. My logic being, if it's good enough for an ex-President - it may be good enough for me, and more importantly, it's quite far (not to mention costly) to go to Singapore, HK or Japan, every time I get an Ippudo craving.

Ukkokei also has a branch in Manila , making it close
enough to go to for lunch from our office.
We enjoy going at lunch because Ukkokei has set
meals for close to the price of the ramen only.
We love ordering Set A which includes Ramen of choice
(Miso), half an order of Chahan, noodle salad, and 4 pcs gyoza.
Dennis, a ramen loving friend of mine, suggested that I order the Karaka Level 2 if I enjoy spicy broth, which I do, so you can order either the Ramen only for P360 or order a Set and add Php50 for the Karaka Sauce.
I ended up ordering an add-on egg (Php40) and the
Karaka sauce (Php50) because I didn't know Karl would treat.
I thought at first that the Karaka sauce was puny in size and
overpriced, but it packs a mean punch. It really changes the taste
profile of the broth in a good way (if you like spicy).
My Rainy Day Ramen Lunch
Disclaimer: I normally eat just a fourth of the noodles and I have
the chahan wrapped for the driver, but I drink all the oil broth

Ukkokei is now one of my favorite Ramen places in Manila. just saying. Thanks for treating, Karl!


Ukkokei Ramen Ron
888 Gateway Plaza
2126 A. Mabini St.
Malate, Metro Manila
02-5165511

It's probably a good idea to call before coming.
It seems like they are closed on some Mondays. Just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment