Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Saboten in now in the Philippines

Saboten used to be one of our go to restaurants when I lived I  Singapore. My favorite part was really the bottomless shredded cabbage that was served with goma (sesame) dressing.

I was really keen to visit their Serendra branch for two reasons. I had a Saboten Hangover from HKIA and the people I know who've been to the Manila branch have been giving it mixed reviews so I wanted to see eat for myself.

Hong Kong

Saboten has a fast food format at the HK airport.
You order and pay, then wait for your number to be flashed.
No bottomless anything, but what they lack for ambiance,
They make up for in taste.

No need to do any work. You just need to
mix the ground sesame seeds with the tonkatsu sauce.
They also served the cabbage with some sort of vinaigrette,
But the loin was melt in your mouth and better than I remembered. 
In HK, they have several meals to choose from
Most are around the HK $100 price range.

Manila

I ordered the same Loin Set to maintain the integrity of my food experiment, and when given the choice between pork with fat or pork with no fat (tenderloin set) we know fat wins hands down.

The ambiance in Serendra is very similar to Saboten in Millennia Walk.

I was so happy to see the bottomless cabbage.
They even use the same serving plates!
In Manila, they even throw-in picked radish and cucumber.
They have real sesame seeds, goma dressing,
And a sea salt mill too!
My Loin Set Meal with complimentary cold house tea.
The loin was quite a let down though, but only if compared
to HK. I think it's roughly the same as SG because I still found
it to be much better than Yabu.
I was bumming Tenderloin from my friend's plate and it was much softer than the loin, so you just need to decide if you're willing to give up the fat for the softer pork. Hahaha.

Price-wise, I found the Manila branch to be quite reasonable
as I'm familiar with their Singapore prices. The only difference
is you don't get Green Tea ice cream in Manila.

I'm happy because I no longer need to go to SG when I have a tonkatsu craving, and when I'm in SG I can focus on eating in the other  places I've missed because Saboten is now in Manila. just saying. 


Saboten Manila
Ground Floor, Serendra
Bonifacio Global City
Taguig


Saboten HKIA
Departure Area, Terminal 1
Hong Kong International Airport


You can read about why we love Saboten Singapore here.



No comments:

Post a Comment