Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Turning a year wiser at Wrong Ramen

In our family, birthdays are normally celebrated by going out for dinner with the birthday celebrant choosing where he or she wants to eat (so the other day, I got to choose). For this birthday, I was desperately craving for  good ramen, specifically a ramen place I read about that serves breakfast ramen. Ramen with Bacon, Spam, Egg and Cheese. In short, Ramen with all the good things in life. If you haven't figured it out yet, my favorite meal is brunch and foie gras!


The stuff ramen dreams are made of.

I dragged my family to Wrong Ramen, a new place in Burgos Circle, and they humored me because it was my birthday. Wheeeeee! I love playing the birthday card.

I made reservations for us because we were a group of 9, and it was good that I did so because the place turned out to be quite small. They told me on the phone that they are quite strict and they only hold the table for five minutes, so I moved our reservation to 7.45pm instead of 7.30pm as traffic in Manila at dinner time is really unpredictable.

Wrong Ramen is beside Bugsy's across Serenitea in Burgos Circle.
"The last guy who ate here left screaming in pure ecstasy."
A bit of an overstatement, but the place is still good nonetheless.
Sofia before we entered.

There was barely any traffic from the office so Sofia and I arrived earlier than our reservation. They told us we could sit on the bar stools while waiting for the guests to leave, as it turned out they only had 1 long table on the second floor. They just have dividers so it's possible to eat alone (bar stool) or by twos (long table) with privacy.

Sofia showing her lolo how to play the Barbie app while waiting.

I had a chance to take a lot of pictures because I was trying to distract myself from dying of hunger.
They have a brief introduction about their Tonkotsu.
They liken it to wolfing down a plate of lechon-
"You'll hate yourself for it, but you'll come back for more".
I came for the SPAM!
The fatty part is just a bonus. Hahaha.
They also have the cutest Salt and Pepper shakers,
just in case you're low bat. Hahaha.


Timmy and I finally ordered starters because we couldn't wait anymore.
Enoki Mushroom Fries
This dish has an overwhelming fried taste,
with barely any mushroom flavor.
You'll get umay in 2 bites, but it's quite good when eaten
with the Katsu Ketchup sauce that it's served with. 
Timmy ordered the bacon of course!
Bacon Tonkatsu
This one was really good.
The alfafa sprouts are a good attempt to neutralize NOT! the bacon.
Sofia and I were clowning around., as usual.
We were so happy when everyone arrived so we could eat na.
I think my dad got scared of the "it's as deadly as lechon comment",
he ordered the Tonkotsu Ramen Light instead.
Sofia gave this dish two thumbs up. She normally does not like ramen.
My mom ordered the Tonkotsu Ramen Rich.
In hindsight, it was only when the orders arrived did we realize that the difference in the orders may not be the soup (unlike in Osaka - it's the broth the refer to when they say Light or Rich), it was in the pork. The light order had shredded cha shu while the rich order had 2 slices of pork.


My aunt ordered the Wrong Ramen Tantanmen because they said it's their best seller. It also happens to be the dish in the restuarant's Facebook Cover Page, it looked so much better there compared to what they served.
It tasted good anyway.  The broth was very tasty.
Timmy ordered the Buffalo Chicken Ramen,
with the broth served separately for dipping.
He said it was good. It was gone before I got to try any.
The last dish served was the F.U. Ramen
The Breakfast Ramen I've been craving for.
It has 3 strips of bacon, 1 thin slice of over done black pepper spam,
an overdone egg and melted cheese.
The tostado egg went so well with the Ramen which was a surprise for me
 because I normally like the slightly runny egg.
Next time, I'll make sure to ask them not to overcook the SPAM.
What a waste of good SPAM. Booooo.

A nice touch they do is to serve everyone a shot of yogurt drink after the meal. It cleanses the palette.
Imagine Yakult, in a nice shot glass.
It's just this small, but it's very refreshing.
Sante!
Obviously a hit with Sofia.
In a nutshell, while my gold standard for Ramen is still Ippudo whether it be in Singapore or Japan, I like Wrong Ramen because it attempts to be different, therefore I don't compare it to Ippudo so it doesn't fail or fail miserably. Their tasty, rich broth + bacon & egg is a clear win for me, with SPAM done right, it can only get better. just saying.


After we stuffed ourselves, Jem brought me out our favorite "Matter of Pride" (kelangan ubusin even if we're only 3 kasi it's a matter of pride!) cake.
Thanks for the cake Jem!
More Cake Shots!
We miss you TIM!!!
What happened to you?
Nine Years Ago, TIM looked like this!
and yes, it's the same kind of cake.
And most likely, 9 years ago, only the 3 of us finished it,
because It's a Matter of Pride.
Don't Judge!
Back to 2013
Oooooh, I hope my wishes come true!
I made quite a lot of wishes because Sofia wouldn't stop singing.
If you're still wondering what happened to Tim in 9 years,
he finished too many  "Matter of Pride" cakes.
Sofia is joining the Matter of Pride tradition.
She had two servings. I think she ate more cake than Ramen.

Thanks to everyone who greeted me and sent gifts!
My favorite presents are:
The flowers I got from my team.
Thanks Noel, Peach & Aina :)
and all my travelling stuff. Wheeeeeeeeee! Can't wait to use it for Taipei.
Thanks Anna (and family) & Jem (and Ivan)!
That's all for now because I just remembered Tim's share of the cake is still in our fridge and I want to have some of it. After all, it's still a matter of pride! we've just outgrown time limit. Hahaha. just saying.



Wrong Ramen
Burgos Circle, Fort Bonifacio
(02) 823 8249

Wrong Ramen is still on their soft opening.
Their menu may be crappy, but their service isn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment