Saturday, March 28, 2015

Revisiting Line, in my home away from home in Paris

One thing I love about using Airbnb when I travel is meeting new friends. Last year, I was brave enough to travel through Europe alone (which you can read about here), I stayed at Line's studio apartment in Montmartre and I absolutely loved the apartment and Line herself, my wonderful landlady. You can read about why here.  

I loved it so much, I said I will always stay with Line whenever I get a chance to go back to Paris, so when Ady and I were planning our trip, as early as 8-9 months away, I already checked Airbnb to reserve Line's studio, but even that early, it was already booked! Good thing we kept in touch through facebook, so I was able to drop her a note and ask her if her studio was available and she was nice enough to offer us her extra room for bed and breakfast.

I love Line's apartment in Montmartre.
She lives on the top floor, on the other side of the studio apartment that I stayed in last year.
She prepared her extra bed room for us.
It has it's own Toilet and Bath.
This is one side of the room (taken from the side with the window).
Line's small touches makes it feel like home.
and a view similar to that of the Studio apartment,
but a bit better because from here you can see the top of the Eiffel Tower.


The set-up is because Line makes you feel welcome, but at the same time both of you have your own privacy.
The door on the right is the Apartment entrance,
while the door on the left is the guest bedroom.
On the other side of the doorway, there's a washing area/
storage room where you can leave your big luggage,
then the farther door leads to Line's apartment - which she
opens for breakfast, and closes at other times for privacy.

Line welcomed us to Paris with a light dinner of zucchini soup (made with Boursin) that was so good.
She also always invites for glass of wine to relax at the end of the day.
Her cat, Tali, is well behaved too. 

Line also prepared breakfast for us everyday. We just agree on a convenient time (for us it was 9am), and she'd just leave her door open and we'd meander into her kitchen when we were ready to eat. Everything she fed us was really good, I also enjoyed watching her prepare the food because she made it look so easy to prepare good food. She was even willing to let me cook one dinner with her but we just had too little time in Paris for this trip.
On the first day, we had crepes.
The secret to this breakfast was Creme de Marrons
(chestnut cream) as the filling, and liquid cream as sauce.
If you want to buy some, they sell it by the tube in Angelina.
Day 2 Spread
On the second day, Line served really good Pain au Raisin from the
neighborhood patisserie.
I think the really good Pain au Raisin came from here,
an artisanal patisserie on Rue Lepic.
Florist on Rue Lepic.
You can read more about the area here.

I kept on telling my sister that Line made really good homemade berry jam, so while we were there, Line got pressured to make some for us.
Day 3 spread was scrambled egg galette (buckwheat crepe).
but the star of the show was the homemade berry jam.
So yummy with artisanal  baguette and butter.
On our last day, Line made another favorite of mine, authentic
French Toast.
Day 4 Spread
Line was totally disowning whatever French part I claimed to have in me
when I started eating the French toast with the jam... because
it was just so good, and we were already leaving so I needed to get my fill.
She was so nice, she even wrapped up a bottle for me to
take home to Sofia and the family.

Aside from the food and the warm hospitality, I love staying at Line's because of the area. In the 1900s, there used to be 14 windmills scattered around Montmartre - where wheat was milled. Now, there are just 3 left standing, and all of them are an easy walk from Line's flat. 

I'd say the most touristy one would be the Moulin Rouge, which is
right across the Blanche Metro.
Moulin Rouge selfies.
A corner away from the apartment is Cafe des 2 Moulins, where
Amelie worked in the movie. I even watched the movie before our trip.
Walking up the hill from the flat, will take you to Sacre Couer.
Selfie on the uphill climb...
You'll pass by Moulin de la Galette, made famous
by Renoir. 
Prerequisite selfies.
The weather was so bad on that day, it was drizzling such a fine mist, that it wasn't exactly necessary to carry an umbrella, but then you'll just realize too late that you're already very wet.

It's so easy to feel at home because even (the nano version of) my favorite
Supermarket- what used to be beside my Paris flat, also has a branch nearby.
I'm so used to staying with Line, I even know where the neighborhood
Poste is, because that's one stop I always visit to send Sofia's postcards.

View from our room at night.
 
I loved sleeping with the Eiffel Tower as my night light!

We enjoyed our stay so much, we bought Line a plant (with flowers) to
thank her for taking good care of us. She was laughing at my crazy French
when we gave it because I ended up telling her that She will miss me,
instead of the other way around, which I meant to write. Hahaha.
Thank you very much Line for the lovely stay! I can't wait to visit you again.
just saying.
You can find the link to Line's Airbnb Studio Apartment here, or drop me a message if you need to get in touch with her to ask about bed and breakfast in her extra room so I can drop her a note for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment