Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Wonderful food choices in Rue Lepic and why I love living in Montmarte

I've always loved visiting the Montmarte area in Paris with the beautiful Basilique du Sacre Couer and the artists' square at the back, but it was only during my last trip to Paris did I really enjoy living (for a few days at least) in this beautiful area.

I was able to find a lovely studio apartment on Airbnb with the loveliest landlady, Line. You can read my post about that here. Because the pictures in her listing was more focused on the flat, I didn't realize what a wonderful area I was living in, until I went out the next morning in search of breakfast.

Rue Lepic was just a few doors away, and on this really long street, you'll find everything your heart (and stomach) desires, including the Café des Deux Moulins which I believe was featured in the famous French film Amelie. (note to self: watch Amelie before my birthday trip to Paris)


Patisseries
There were quite a lot of neighborhood Patisseries I couldn't decide
where to buy my basic croissant. #firstworldproblems
I wanted to get one of the giant Quiches from here, but I forgot.
 (Note to self: Maybe next trip)
However, I still ended buying my croissant from PAUL.
The artisanal baguettes tempted me, but I knew I would never make a dent
on one.

Fruit and Vegetables
So many fresh produce stands.
Berries overload
Another problem was what fruit to buy.
It's true that the more the choices, the harder to buy.
Asparagus in both white (never touched by the sun) and green.
I remember a dinner from my very first trip  to Europe,
my German uncle brought us to eat White Spargel (Asparagus)
in Hamburg where it was just served with Hollandaise.
Another fruit and veg store
In the end, I was tempted the most by the Avocados.

Fromagerie
I loved living so near the cheese store! 
I wouldn't mind coming down to buy different cheese everyday.

Poulet Roti
There was also this yummy looking Roast Chicken Place.
If I lived in Paris, I can imagine myself passing here to buy dinner on my way
home. I used to buy Roast Chicken in the South of France, to picnic in the beach.

I planned to just quickly go down to grab food, but I ended up walking up and down the whole street exploring all my options.
Success!!!
My breakfast haul.

If grabbing breakfast to eat at home is not your cup of tea, there are numerous cafes in addition to Café des Deux Moulins where you can grab something to eat.
Standard French Breakfast Fare

Rue Lepic also has pretty flower shops.


Walking uphill will lead you to none other than the famous “Moulin de la Galette”. The 2 windmills left, among the 14 windmills (Moulin) around the Monrtmarte area, used to mill flowers, wheat, grape harvests, etc. This was also where they had the Moulin de la Galette Ball which was featured by Renoir in his famous painting.
"Bal du Moulin de la Galette" by Renoir
which you can see at the Musee D'Orsay
“Le Moulin de La Galette” by Van Gogh
On my walk up the hill, I saw a tour group.
The guide is showing Renoir's painting.
One of the windmills.
I couldn't resist a selfie, but you can barely see the moulin.
There are cafes on top, if you want to enjoy the view.
You'll also enjoy looking over Paris from here.
I spy Invalides!
While the Moulin is at the end of Rue Lepic,
even if you turn right, it's still the same Rue.
This is the other windmill.
It's now a restaurant, and one of the tourist attractions in Montmarte.
You can visit their website here.
Another selfie.

From this street, I just kept walking to my right, which leads to the artists' square at the back of Sacre Couer.
Some bitter soul wrote this. Translated to mean LOVE IS DEAD. 
It's like you just stepped right into the past.
This guy is pretending to be an artist.
He gathered quite a crowd.
It's so pretty approaching Sacre Couer from this side.
I always used to walk up the hill from Anvers.
You can already see Sacre Couer.
Reproductions of old posters
Restaurants and Cafes
I can imagine Renoir, Van Gogh and Lautrec hanging here.
There are also several art galleries.
I love buying kitschy postcards and reproductions.
While I love Starbucks a lot, I think it just DOES NOT belong here.
I went on Easter Sunday, so it was one of the busiest days of the year! 
This is the artists' square.
You can explore Montmarte by train if you wish,
or you can also take the Montmarte Bus.
There's a small Church behind Sacre Couer, which is where
I heard Easter Mass to seek refuge from the crowd.
I've always seen and passed by the Saint Pierre of Montmarte Parish before,
but I've never entered it with Sacre Couer just around the corner.
I didn't realize it was such a beautiful cozy chapel.
Especially if you want to hear mass,
and not do the touristy thing.
After mass, it was back to chaos.
The priest who celebrated the mass, even stayed
outside, meeting and greeting the mass-goers.
Sacre Couer is always beautiful, but this time around, I didn't go in.
Another selfie.
When I lived in Paris, I loved to come where during sunny weekends,
and listen to the musicians playing while looking over Paris.
I guess a lot of people love doing that.
Sacre Couer from below.
This busy street is normally where I come up from.
Below this is where they have the discount stores.
I blogged about it here.
This is one of my favorite Souvenir Stores.
It has a wider assortment than the usual tourist crap.
Since I almost killed myself (literally) finishing the
foie gras the day before, it was walking all the way for me.
Walk, walk, walk. No mercy.
In my past life, I used to take the funiculaire both up and down.
(Unlimited Monthly Transport Pass - Availed!)
Once you get back to street level, there are actually a
lot of Sex Shops as Pigalle is the red light district.

While I really, really love Montmarte, and I would tell everyone that they need to come and visit, if they don't manage to find a place to live here, just remember to be careful. There are a lot of pickpockets in the area. To be safe, try to act like you're not a tourist and try to act like you're not rich. just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment