Monday, January 18, 2016

Roasted Chickpeas for Healthier Snacking

Dieting has always been a struggle for me. I have to make sure I don't feel deprive, otherwise, I risk throwing all the effort away and end up binge-ing.

One of the ways I do this is when I attempt to do the 1,200 calorie (+/-200 calorie) diet. And since nothing is really super precise, at 1,500 calories per day, it's not too bad, especially if you manage not to deprive yourself.

I previously blogged about my tips on how to survive the 1,200 calorie diet here, but I still believe, the key is to find healthier snacking alternative so you can satisfy yourself, while sticking to the goal.

I was very happy when I saw the Brit + Co. post on Roasted Chickpeas. I learned to love chickpeas when I found out that hummus is actually made from that stuff. Hahaha, before that I never gave chickpeas or garbanzos as they are locally known in the Philippines the time of day.

One track mind that I am, I immediately had to try the recipe.

All you need is canned chickpeas, rinsed and dried (to make it easier to roast it to a crisp), the you season it with a bit of olive oil, I used basil flavored olive oil, and sea salt.

Just mix until well coated then bake around 30 minutes.
I think you can bake it longer so it would get crispier.
Mine tasted good, but it was a bit on the chewy side.

Then you have an option of leaving it as is, or flavoring it to taste. Since I was in an experimental mood. I left some as plain salted, but I also did the honey cinnamon as suggested in the recipe, but I tweaked the chili lime into Sriracha Lemon, based on ingredients I had on hand.

Happy to say, they all turned out yummy.

They keep well enough for around 3 days in an air tight container. Note to self, next time, I won't get too excited to eat it, and I should remember to let it bake longer for the extra crunch. Hahaha, no guarantees I will have enough EQ for that though, good thing it tastes good as is anyway. just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment