Friday, January 26, 2018

Coley's Mushroom Cauliflower Risotto

Since I lost so much weight doing the Nutribullet Smoothie (note to self, do a blog post on that), I decided to try and eat healthier as well.

My newest health kick is an attempt to go 80% Vegetarian. The 20% is loophole for the meat I enjoy like Fried Chicken Skin, Steak with Fat and Foie Gras. I try to live by a simple rule, if I don't really like the meat dish, I would opt to eat vegetables instead.

To make this plan sustainable I've been on the look out for interesting recipes of healthy alternatives for food I love to eat. I can live without eating rice forever, but put Risotto in front of  me and my self control is gone.

I was so happy to find several recipes of Cauliflower Risotto online which I tweaked to be most similar to the Mushroom Risotto recipe we know and love, and it turned out so well, even I was surprised. 



Mushroom Cauliflower Risotto Recipe

1. Pulse 1 large cauliflower head (florets only) until it looks like rice and set aside.
2. Cook a small package of Shiitake Mushrooms (cut into strips) in Olive Oil then set aside.
3. Saute 3 cloves garlic until brown, then add 1 finely chopped onion until translucent.
4. Add the cauliflower rice, chicken broth (I used 1 Knorr Chicken Cube dissolved in 1 cup water), and add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Don't forget the secret ingredient: add 1/4 cup grated mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese/ or any salty cheese. Put as much cheese as you want!!!
6.Top with parsley or basil.

Perfect for calorie counters as it only contains 95 calories per cup (without the extra cheese), it's so easy to make too. If your helper does all the prep, cook time is approximately 10 minutes. This recipe is a keeper. just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment