Friday, September 11, 2015

Akira Back for Modern Japanese Food in Jakarta

I've only had one meal in Jakarta, and it was so good, I have no idea how to top in on my next trips. But then, I've always loved a challenge, so I am going to enjoy finding a new place to top it. Hahaha.

I've visited Jakarta twice now, but it's normally just for transit and the schedule is so tight, I barely have enough time to touch the wonderful breakfast spread at The Hotel Mulia, where I normally stay.

Fortunately or unfortunately, on my last trip, I had to stay an extra night because of the flight schedules, so I got a chance to go out for dinner and catch-up with Didi, and she found a wonderful restaurant where we had dinner.
Akira Back, it turns out, is the name of a chef from Las Vegas, who just
recently opened a restaurant named after him in Jakarta.
Akira Back is currently number 2 on Tripadvisor (I've been told).
The food is quite pricey, but just reading the menu is enough to make
you drool. Hello Foie Gras, Fatty Tuna (which we didn't order), and Steak.
For a place with posh prices, the ambiance was quite casual.
The place has an open kitchen (which you can see behind the busy table).
It's also located on a high floor of MD Place Building,so if you're lucky,
you'll get to enjoy a nice view too. See far window of room at the back.

At first we weren't sure if the dishes were for sharing, so we just ordered everything we wanted, mostly appetizers, and a main course to share.
Didi ordered Salmon to show Noel. Hihihi.
So sweet. I didn't touch this.
Then we had the Pan Seared Foie Gras with Croquettes and miso and honey
sauce. Quite a busy plate but everything worked well together.

Dishes are definitely meant for sharing.
This was my portion of the Foie Gras. Yumyumyum..
We ordered one of the safe rolls with tempura which we saw from another
table. Unfortunately, they served it way after we demolished the main course.
We also tried the Grilled Octopus with Chorizo Dumplings because we weren't
sure if the food we ordered was enough.
This was good too... though it was the most ordinary among the rest.
For our main, we ordered the steak to share. It looks horrible, but it tastes so
much better than it looks. Perfectly cooked, and melts in your mouth.
Dessert was really a pleasant surprise though,
We ordered the Yuzu Cheesecake with Berry Ice Cream.
Not only does it look beautiful, it was light and delicious too!
A perfect end to our really yummy dinner.

Be ready to pay roughly 900,000 Rupiahs per person though, and we weren't even drinking wine! But I must say, it was truly a great meal! Thanks for this great find Didi!!! Can't wait to catch up again. Hope our next meal is as good as this without being as expensive. Hahaha. just saying.


Akira Back
MD Place Lt. 12 Jalan Setia Budi Selatan No. 7
Jakara, DKI Jakarta 12910, Indonesia

No comments:

Post a Comment