Friday, March 8, 2013

SG$5 Xiao Long Bao from CNN Go's 10 Best Hawker Food List

SINGAPORE SERIES

This is a super delayed post. It was only when I was looking for my post of Singapore's SG$5 Xiao Long Bao did I realize that I never blogged about it, but I am doing so now because I think it's a place worth sharing.
Just look for this stall, or look for stall number 02- 135
Smith Street Food Center in Chinatown


Tim and I discovered the yummy enough for SG$5 Xiao Long Bao through CNN Go's 10 Best Hawker Food Stalls in Singapore which you can read here. We tried it a few days before I left for Manila for good, so that's probably why I forgot to blog about it, since we were busy packing and moving and all that.

I actually made it a point to try it before I left because I was very intrigued. Xiao Long Bao for only SG$5? I think that's half the price of Din Tai Fung (of course it's not as good - but then it's good enough to be good value). The other selling point for me is that the place is located in Chinatown, which is very close to where I used to live, and it's a place that we like visiting.

It turns out the Chinatown Smith Street Food Center was a building we've walked along many many times before, we just never went inside. Smith Street is the main road where "Chinatown Food Street" is located so parts of it are closed to traffic.

If I'm not mistaken, I think there are shops on the first floor, then you go up to the second floor where the main food court is.
Sofia trying to tickle Ninong Tim.
CNN's article calls it China La Mian Steamed Buns.
It's actually Xhong Guo La Mian Xiao Long Bao.
We only ordered one order because we weren't hungry
and I was dying to try it.
It was good enough. The dough is thin enough for you to see the soup.
But thick enough not to break easily.
It goes really well with the Sugarcane and Lime juice.
Or maybe it was just a normal humid day in Singapore.
There were quite a lot of sugarcane juice stalls
in the food court.
Ady was squeezing the lemon because
her drink needed more taste. Hahaha.

I'd definitely eat here again if I found myself in the area, but if I were craving for Xiao Long Bao, I'd still head to the nearest Din Tai Fung or better yet, I'd head to Paradise Dynasty. just saying.


Xhong Guo La Mian Xiao Long Bao
Chinatown Smith Street Food Centre
Blk 335 Smith Street #02-135
+65 9743 5287
10 a.m. - 9 p.m. Closed Thursday

No comments:

Post a Comment