Monday, April 29, 2013

My favorite parts of Centre Georges Pompidou are the stores

On my last trip to Paris, I was with some friends who were visiting the city of lights for the first time. This meant that some of the places they wanted to visit, I've already seen, so when we went to the Centre Georges Pompidou, I told my friends that I would gladly meet them after they went around, preferring to kill time at the Museum Shop and Book Shop instead, my favorite part of any museum.

The imposing structure of Centre Georges Pompidou.
The line was so long to get inside, the wait was at least an hour.
You can actually see the queues outside the building from inside.
While my friends were looking around,
I was happy enough to do the same at the Museum Shop.
A Museum Shop is like what cliff notes is to a Novel.
You see all the collection highlights in the form of souvenirs.
They also have stuff for the home that will pass as Modern Art.
School Supplies in bright colors.
Alessi Magnets
Noteooks and Magnets of some of the work inside.
Cuff or Watch?
Both.
I always get tempted by the paper things for kids.
These lamps remind me of the SG$5 lamps in Ikea,
but I am guessing that these are more unique and pricier.
Gaspard et Lisa in front of the Pompidou and the Tour Eiffel.
While the shop was fun, the Book Shop was heaven.
I was so tempted to buy this for Sofia!
And this too!!!
But I walked away because they were expensive,
and we already own a lot of stamps (and we have thumbs!)
This artwork was inspired by the pictures above from Pompidou.
They had one whole paper section on anything Paris.
The Origami Collection can rival bookshops in Japan.
There were so many kits, I was so tempted.
But again I walked away because we owned a lot of similar things.
They had a big Washi Tape section, with Washi Tape Books!
Even in Japan, I don't remember seeing books.
They also had puzzle versions of the collections.
My favorite Museum Books were always the copy
 the painting books, but Monet was out of stock.
They also had a lot of Children's Activity Books in French.
Again, I was tempted by Charlie.
But then, we are still looking for Wally
in the many books I've already bought.
They had a Paris Cut and Fold Book.
Again I said no, because I remember we did this for free here.

If you love paper and all things Paris like I do, make sure you schedule a trip to the Museum Shops of Centre Georges Pompidou. You may be able to enter through the book shop entrance on the side (to skip the queues) but I am not sure. I definitely enjoyed it more than my visit to the actual museum many years ago. just saying.


Centre Georges Pompidou
19 Rue Beaubourg  
75004 Paris, France
Closed on Tuesdays
+33 1 44 78 47 99


No comments:

Post a Comment