Saturday, April 20, 2013

The Best Baguette in Paris from Eric Kayser

PARIS FOOD TRIP

When I was doing my Where To Eat in Paris research, I encountered Eric Kayser numerous times for his artisanal baguette (the traditional baguette with the crunchy chewy crust) which is recognized among the best in Paris. That's quite a feat given that Eric Kayser has around 80 branches world wide, with around 20 branches in Paris alone, yet the consistent quality of his artisanal baguette is good enough to make it to the best baguette list.

I was really excited because Eric Kayser had two branches on Rue Monge, five minutes away on foot from our flat, and they were closed on different days of the week (which is a big deal in France because it's really frustrating when a place is closed just when you feel like eating something), so that meant that I could go buy freshly baked baguettes anytime I felt like it.

Diana and I went down to buy bread on our second day,
while our other friends were still getting ready.
I was excited to see this line. It must really be good.
Eric Kayser's store window.
A closer look at the pies and chocolates.
But what really excites me is the bread!
Everyone just forms one line. There are different counters,
but you just ask for what you want when it's your turn at the cashier.
They also have macarons, but they don't look as good as the bread.
We were buying breakfast for the group,
so we also got Quiche Lorraine and a pasta salad.
So many baguette options.
We just asked for the basic artisanal one.
The baguette was still warm when I got it!
***please excuse my I-just-woke-up hair.
I had my eye on the prize baguette since I woke up.
I managed to eat a good part of the baguette on our walk home.
Make that I ate a good part of the baguette crust. Hahaha.
This was our breakfast spread.
The lemon merigue pie was also good.
The lemon curd was on the creamy side and not too tart.
The quiche was served cold in giant blocks.
We were too lazy to heat it, but it was good anyway,
especially if you get the bacon parts.
The arugula, ham and mozzarella pasta salad was also yummy.
It went really well with the Nespresso Valerie left for us.

I wish I had more days in Paris to enjoy this simple breakfast. Actually, if I lived there, I would already be happy with the freshly baked baguette, to be eaten with ham and Camembert or chevre (Goat Cheese) which I always used to have stocked in my fridge.

The great thing about Paris is with all the walking, carbs don't really turn into unwanted fat as it seems to do so here, that's probably why French Women don't get fat. I'm so happy I'm French at heart. Hahahaha. just saying.


Eric Kayser
8 Rue Monge 75005

Nearest transport: Maubert-Mutualité (10)
Closed Tuesday
For other branches in Paris, you can refer to this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment