Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Sofia's first job as McDonald's Kiddie Crew

Random conversations in our house go something like this:
Sofia: Mom, Can you please buy me a lotto? (I am assuming she meant lotto ticket)
Me: (wearing a WTF face) a what?
So Lola Yaya intervened and explained that Sofia got hold of a Toys R'Us catalog and identified all the items she wanted Lola Yaya to buy for her. Because it's the summer edition, it includes all models of outdoor pools, so everything Sofia wanted would more or less cost half a million bucks, to which Lola Yaya said she'd buy it for Sofia if she won the lotto, thus leading to my daughter asking me for a lotto ticket.

Of course, me being me, I couldn't just let it go at that. I had to explain to my daughter that money doesn't come from winning the lotto. I told her that if she really wants to buy something, she needs to get a job and work to earn money.

Then my sister had the brilliant idea of Sofia joining the McDonald's Kiddie Crew. Sofia loved the idea so much, we immediately went to McDonald's Granada the next day with our application form to see how soon she could start.

We applied at McDonald's Gilmore.
While technically the age requirement is 6, they let younger kids join
 if they are tall enough to operate the soft drink dispenser.

I was so excited when I realized Sofia could start this week because today was a holiday, so it meant that I would get a chance to watch her work. I was a bit sad I was too busy in the office to go with her on her first day (stage mommy much - i admit!)
I made up for it by helping her prepare for her first day of work
the day before. I made sure her ID was really nice. Hahaha.

I also invited friends and sort of required Sofia's godparents to come and visit today, since it's a holiday meaning they had no excuse.
We met Ninong Jay and Jillie for lunch at Red Buffalo before Sofia's
1pm shift. We missed you, Tita Janie!
Jillie and Sofia enjoyed playing on the swivel chairs.
Pretty girls
It was only when Jillie turned around that
we realized Daddy Jay put on her shirt wrong. Hahaha.
But major points for giving her a bath!
Jillie did something that's mana kay Jay.
So Sofia was laughing and laughing.
Sofia and Viele are always happy to see each other.
Excited to work.
They started preparing drinks.
Then they manned the drive through booth.
The dad and the boy in the car were charmed by
these two little girls.
With all the supportive family
and friends who came early.
We didn't realize that after a few minutes of work,
it was break time already for the kids.
Today they had McSpaghetti.
We didn't let Uncle Doc and Ninang Ria order
until Sofia was behind the counter serving again.
Auntie Lise also came to visit.
Ninang Faith with Viele and Fi.
After the break, it was cookie decorating time.
Jillie also wants to be part of the Kiddie Crew.
Next year, they can crew together :)
Viele and Sofia with Ninang Ria.
Once all the kids have been given their kits,
the real crew showed them what to do.
You need to mix the icing, before putting them on the cookies.
Sofia and Viele hard at work.
Viele was really fast.
Sofia let Jillie help her with the elephant cookie, as long as she didn't get any of the icing colors mixed. She's OC that way.
Jillie's favorite part was adding the sprinkles.
Sprinkling is hard work.
Viele and Sofia were pleased with their work.
Jillie was busy eating while Lukey just looked on.
Sofia and Jillie's cookies.
Ninang Ria wins favorite Aunt of the kids AGAIN!
Then finally, it was the time everyone was waiting for. Sofia and Viele were back to working behind the counter.
They helped serve Lolo Boy's order.
Jillie ordered French Fries!
Ninong Jay had to pay for and eat everything Jillie ordered,
but he also had apple pie a la mode (apple pie + sundae cone).
Hahaha.
These 2 were running to deliver his order.
This picture was taken just before Viele
dropped the Apple Pie on the floor (5 second rule).
It was such a riot! Hahaha.
Sofia and Viele with the first customer they served.
Uncle Doc was finally allowed to order.
I am not sure if these cuties got his order right.
Since I am such a stage mom, I lined up many times.
The first time, I bought a snack to take-out for the driver.
Ninang Faith and Big Ma were difficult customers.
They were ordering Chicken Joy and Palabok. Eeeep!
The good thing about ordering food when the girls are behind
the counter, is they'll give you more ketchup than you ask for.
Ninang Faith got 10 packs for 1 order of Fries.
Viele serving her ama and her mom.
When I lined up again, I ordered a Coke Zero Float. The kids are taught to try to upsell you by offering French Fries to go with that, but I said no to carbs.
Sofia made my Coke Zero float starting with the ice.
Coke Zero
Then the soft serve Ice Cream,
and chocolate sauce.
I asked if pwede utang muna, and she agreed,
but the manager made her tell me
"Sorry ma'am, we don't accept Credit Cards."
Jillie helped make my Coke Zero float more diet-friendly
by eating the Ice Cream.
Jillie was having so much fun
she didn't want to go home yet.
Ninang Ria and Uncle Doc went back to the counter to order more food.
Hooray for Stage Ninangs!
Ninang Ady also made it!
Ady was sort of pressured to come because Carol and Kim
said they were coming. Auntie Carol is in the running
for getting an award for coming 2 days straight!
In fairness to Ady, she managed to drag Fat Ninong to show some
moral support.
At the end of their shift,
the kids get paid a chocolate fudge sundae. 
Sofia with Gammy Cherrie and Lukey.
Thanks for coming Lukey (you're such a cutie!),
Uncle Marky and Auntie Alay.
Ninang Jem!
Sofia also has chocolate teeth!
You can still catch Sofia and Viele in action if you want.
They will be on the 1-3pm shift in McDonald's Granada until Friday.

Work (or all that running around) must really be tiring, because I had to get gas from the Petron across the street when we left McDonald's and Sofia showed me the Free Hotdog sign.
Free Hotdog for every P1,000 purchase.
Waiting to claim the hotdogs.
We spent Php2,000 so Sofia could have 2 hotdogs,
and she finished them both.
We went to Greenhills for some shopping errands,
and we stopped at the Mister Donut Cafe for our favorite Pon De Rings.
You can read my post about it here.
Sofia also finished her Sugar Donut.
Mommy and Sofia Days are so much fun.
At home, Sofia was fashioning her new tattoo.
I asked her if she can still work in McDo with a tattoo.
We're not sure about the Gilmore branch,
but in this branch she can!
I know. Our teddy bears are bigger than McDonald's!
Checking the inventory before she opened shop.
Finally ready to open.
Take note, we now have money (thanks toToys R Us).
I ordered French Fries.
A cheeseburger with lettuce and tomatoes.
Oreo McFlurry
Coke Light
And a salad that Sofia is grilling to kill the germs because she dropped it.
Sofia giving me change for the money I paid her.
Wow. We had good sales today!
Serving Mom.
Mommy ordered a lot! Buti nalang pretend food is not fattening.

The McDonald's Kiddie Crew Program is a really good experience for the kids. I love how patient and organized they are because having 7-10 kids for 2 hours while trying to go about normal business is really chaotic. You can visit the McDonald's page here for more details on participating branches. They normally charge Php550 (except for the Gilmore branch which charges Php1,000) for a five day workshop for the kids (2 hours a day, Monday to Friday). The kids get 1 Tshirt (uniform), 1 backpack, and 1 ID. You can buy an extra shirt for Php100. Snacks and activities are provided daily. I honestly think it's really a great program. just saying.

2 comments:

  1. so so sad i missed it :( :( btw, super cute the giant bears with their arms crossed! i remember those bears back in SG! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super funny ni Fif, her shirt had spaghetti sauce so I asked her if she had an extra one for tom. Sabi niya...no, BREEZE! Loves it! Very well trained!

    ReplyDelete