Monday, April 15, 2013

Wee Nam Kee in Serendra

Last weekend, we had to go to Market!Market! because we wanted to buy some things for our trip to the US at the end of the month. Since we had no idea where to eat there for lunch, we decided to go to Serendra first and just walk over afterwards.

Ady had the brilliant idea of eating at Wee Nam Kee, a restaurant originally from Singapore famous for their Hainanese Chicken Rice. When the Hainanese Chicken craze hit the Philippines I was still living in Singapore, so I refused to try any of these places whenever I'd come home for a break. It's only now, 8 months after I've been back, that I am willing to try these so called original Hainanese Chicken Rice places.

Wee Nam Kee is right across Abe in Serendra.

I have never eaten at the Wee Nam Kee (Novena) in Singapore because I've always been happy enough with the Hainanese Chicken Rice on Killiney down the street from where I used to live, but I do know that in Singapore, Wee Nam Kee, like any other Hainanese Chicken Place is just a normal no-frills street side restaurant, just a little bit better that a Hawker Center because they have their own place and tables exclusively for the use of their customers.

Aside from the ambiance, the other difference is the paper napkins.
In Singapore, you have to bring your own.
We ordered the Medium Size (Half Chicken Good for 3-4 pax).
Php488 (SG$15)
Because I wanted to minimize my carbs in take
we ordered a Vegetable dish that Ady would also eat.
String beans with Minced Meat Php190 (SG$6)
Sofia missed Singapore food so much
she had three servings.
Hainanese Chicken Rice with all the sauces.
Singapore Comfort Food.
This always used to be our first meal in Singapore.
This was my first serving.
I think I also had three servings... at least!
One clear difference is the Manila branch has
better ambiance. I am also assuming it's cleaner.

Over-all, the food was good, however, the rice was quite dry (though in fairness, it was tasty). In Singapore, you'd get shinier rice, meaning they probably cook it with more oil. The price of Wee Nam Kee here is pretty reasonable. We paid Php820 for the half a chicken, two cups of Hainanese Rice, and one vegetable dish, shared by two adults and one kid.


Across the fountain, there's a big sign that Saboten is opening soon.

Hooray for having all our favorite Singapore food in Serendra. I can't wait for Saboten to open. We won't need to settle for the second rate copy-cat tonkatsu restaurants anymore! just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment