Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Kawasaki Good Times World and the Kobe Maritime Museum

When Ady's friends joined us for our trip to Osaka, they asked us if we wanted to join them for some of the things they wanted to do which included a Day Trip to Kobe. As soon as I heard they were going to Kobe, all I could think about was going with them to eat Kobe Beef. Something I've been wanting to do for quite some time now - thus the important place it holds in my bucket list. Ady's friends were game, so I'll save that topic for another post, but the main reason Doc wanted to go to Kobe was so we could visit Kawasaki Good Times World which shares the same space as the Kobe Maritime Museum.

We used our 2-day Hankyu Pass to get to Kobe, and if you're going to the Kawasaki Good Times World or the Kobe Maritime Museum, you need to get down at the Hanakuma Station. It's actually 1 stop after the area covered by the tourist pass, so you just need to pay the fare difference (which I think is less than 100Yen) before you exit the station.

It's around a 15 minute walk to the museum, which is located near the Kobe Tower, so you just need to keep walking towards the Kobe Port.
One of the first things that caught my attention in Kobe was this vintage
toy store. We were running a bit late so I didn't get to stop.
Street art that we passed along the way.
One of the traditional looking food stalls.
You know you're near when you see this.
Kobe Tower
The Kobe Maritime Museum is very near the water and actually reminds
me of a fishing net.
Front of the Museum.
Kobe Tower from the museum side.
I wasn't able to get a decent selfie because everyone
was rushing me to enter.
We actually arrived a few minutes after 4:30pm which was their last
admission cut-off. But they were nice enough to let us enter for a quick look.
The admission fee for adults is 600Yen but you can access the Kawasaki Good Times World website here to download a 100Yen discount coupon.

Here are the things that caught my attention:
One of the first Jet Ski Models
The Motorcycle Showcase

There's a portion where you're allowed to ride the bikes.
Thought bubble: can you drive a motorcycle if you
don't know how to drive a bike?
I even borrowed Jenny's shades so I'd look like a real biker dude!
Now, this is the real biker!
You can also ride a Jet ski. Complete with backdrop.
There are several inter-active stations which kids would enjoy.
 


It was actually a surprise to me that Kawasaki had a hand in making the Shinkansen.
The Shinkansen Bullet Train is the first train that ran between
Tokyo and Osaka. Kawasaki manufactured 702 of these from 1963-1985.
Selfie with the Shinkansen
I was quite impressed with the interior. It looked pretty modern to me,
especially since the seats rotate so you're always facing front.
However, when I entered the "cockpit" I could imagine that it looked like
this when it was first made.
In contrast, they also have modern trains which I think practically drive
themselves. (don't quote me on that!)
Another surprise to me was that Kawasaki also made airplanes.
Now, this plane looks like it's as old as the first Shinkansen.
Moving on towards more futuristic projects, Kawasaki also makes
robots. They even do a demo of the work robots do in car factories.

We really didn't have much time to look around since we just begged them to let us in, but this place is really something I can imagine Sofia would enjoy a lot. Here are a few shots I was able to take in the Kobe Maritime Museum on our way out.

Coleysjustsaying reporting from Kobe!
This is a place I would be willing to go back to when Sofia is travelling with me... if only for an excuse to go to Kobe to eat Kobe Beef for dinner. just saying.


Kawasaki Good Times World 
Kobe Maritime Museum

2-2, Hatoba-cho, Chuo-ku, Kobe, 
Hyogo 650-0042, 
Japan (Kobe Maritime Museum)

No comments:

Post a Comment