Saturday, January 14, 2012

The Food Highlights of my Manila Trip

Part Two.

You can read part one here.
Here's the continuation of my gastronomic highlights, now remembered as fond memories from the comfort of our Singapore home.

I ended my last post with our Milk Tea preferences. This is a close second to that in the beverage department.
I love Starbucks anywhere.
But I love Starbucks best in the Philippines.
My default drink is Warm White Chocolate Mocha and the also make it best in the Philippines.
The Christmas cranberry version is even better.

Now back to food, this next one on my list, I really also craved for. But because they deliver, I could never get anyone to eat here with me. Thankfully, there was one day when we had no sucky food at home, so my sister had some delivered to shut me up.
Dear Darla Pizza from Yellow Cab
For Delivery: Just remember the ad: "why is 9 afraid of 7?" because 789-9999
Yellow Cab is a local Pizza Chain.
Dear Darla is a really thin crust pizza, where you put arugula and alfalfa, roll and dip in chili oil.
YUM. Shucks. I want this again :(
It goes really well with Hot Wings too.
They give you Hot Legs if they run out of Wings.
We always ask for the sauce on the side because it's too hot for fi.
This is how it looks when it transforms itself to it's hot form.
So far, I've written about simple food. Food that can be found anywhere and can be eaten anytime that you actually take it for granted... until you don't live in Manila anymore and you can't have it when you want it. 

But the next place on my list is actually new to me. It was the first time I ate there, but I've been hearing rave reviews from my siblings and my cousin and they were right.
Eggs Benedict from Mr. Jones
My sister ordered this, and offered to share with me.
I think one was bacon and one was salmon.
It would have been perfect if both were bacon.
I ordered Garlic Portobello Steak and Eggs.
I was really proud of my order because I previously ordered something else,
saw the waiter deliver this to the table beside us,
then I cancelled my order and replaced it with this!
Mr. Jones is in Greenbelt 5. It has a diner type menu. Most of the things that we tried were good.
It's part of the group that owns Chelsea, MOMO and M Cafe.

The next one on my list brings back memories from my childhood.
It's such an old favorite that we were quite surprised that the restaurant still looked okay despite it's age, and they were still getting quite a lot of foot traffic.
I love Teppanyaki and Kimpura still has good Teppanyaki.
My favorite is normally steak.
But because we ordered a set meal, we had to settle for Sukiyaki beef instead.
It was ok.
By default, I loved the chicken the best.
I wish it were beef. Hahaha. I'm uber carnivoire!!! 
I just remember thinking, the set meal was really good value. It came with California Maki, Agedashi Tofu, Sushi Platters, Shrimp Tempura and Squid, Chicken, Beef and Rice Teppanyaki. They said it was good for 6 but we were overflowing with food.  I think we only paid around a little over Php1000 (SG$30).

Kimpura has 1 branch in Greenhills and 1 branch in Greenbelt 5.

Let me just round this piece up with one of my favorite meals.
My mom's turkey.
This only comes out for special occasions like Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year, or MY BIRTHDAY!!!
And for dessert, or in my case a midnight snack,
Portuguese Egg Tarts (handcarried by my parents from Macau)
Though they are also available at Lord Stow's

OK, that's all folks. I have a few more favorite meals that I will blog about separately.
I love it that I enjoyed all that, plus four days of indulging in really decadent food in Bohol and my Singapore scale says I did NOT gain any weight.  Super hooray.

1 comment: