Saturday, January 7, 2012

Sambokojin for Eat All You Can Yakiniku

After our Eat-All-You-Can Yakiniku experience in Osaka, note to self, that deserves it's own post, I was curious to try Sambokojin when I saw that they also had Eat-All-You-Can Yakiniku with an added bonus of a smokeless grill.

I first heard about this from a colleague of mine who asked if I wanted to try it, but I heard the words Eat-All-You-Can... not the Yakiniku part, so I said no.  I'm really not into stuffing yourself into a food coma person, just because you think you need to make the most of what you pay in an Eat-All-You-Can place.  I am a stuff yourself into a food coma person when faced by good food when my conscience decides to turn a blind eye.

However, once I saw the sign, memories of Osaka came coming back and I knew I had to try it.  I read the reviews online and it was generally OK.  Some complained about the service, but over-all people were happy about the food.  Several sites I visited recommended calling for a reservation before showing up so a few times over the holidays, I halfheartedly tried to make one.  I'd normally call them in the afternoon and ask if they had a table free for dinner, and they usually said NO.


The restaurant signage
Ooops. It's the other signs pala that scream Eat All You Can Yakiniku
This New Year's day, it so happened that my parents left for Macau.  Not wanting to feel like orphans, we kids (me and my siblings) decided that it was a good idea to celebrate New Year's with a dinner out, and I suggested that we try this new place with All-You-Can-Eat Yakiniku.  Our first choice was actually Lusso, my favorite foie gras heaven, but they were not answering their phone, so we assumed that they were closed.  More on that in another post.


As usual, since I called mid-afternoon of New Year's Day requesting for a reservation that night, they told me they were fully booked.  I very nicely asked them if it was possible for them to seat us, even at a later time, and I learned that, even if the answer was no, I could not get a reservation at a later time, they could put us on the waiting list.  I asked the girl what that meant, and she said we would be given a table, once they had available one, but she could not guarantee what time, and she recommended that we arrive around 7.30pm.  The only question I had for her was "Are you sure we will get a table on that night?  We don't want to wait forever, to be told you're closing."  And she assured me that yes, we would definitely get to eat.  We had to give her our mobile number so they could text us when our table was ready.

It turned out to be a very good strategy.  My sister and I did a Milk tea run when we knew that we were probably having a late dinner, and we waited for them to SMS us before we left the house.  They were nice enough to tell us when we were next in line, so that gave us more than enough time to get there and have our table ready and waiting.

The ambiance of the restaurant was just OK.
You can immediately go to the buffet to get your cooked and raw food for grilling after they show you to your table.
We started with Sushi and Sashimi.
There are a lot of empty plates, but the sushi bar is just behind, so you can ask the chefs for what you want and they will replenish the buffet or bring it to your table if there is none ready.
The other display of Sushi and Sushi Rolls
My brother and sister getting their first course
My daughter who refuses to be photographed was extremely happy with the tempura, tempura, tempura, tempura, tempura, corn, corn, corn and white rice.
yes, she ate 5 shrimp tempuras, 3 corn pieces, and rice
Me and my first plate
I'm not really a sushi fan, so I stuck with the safe choices:
tamago, crunchy tempura roll, crunchy chicken roll and tekamaki
This was my brother's first plate.
Take note: He almost did not want to join us because we said he was NOT hungry.
Bro, to quote your friend, it's jan 1... not apr 1. hahaha...
This was the selection of rolls for grilling:
mushrooms, asparagus, fish, etc wrapped in either beef or pork bacon
This is the selection of marinated chicken, fish, beef and pork
I think there were more beef and pork choices
There was also another display with more seafood and no marinade
The problem with the marinated meat is that they had signs...
but it really won't help you figure out which one is which
Tip: just get small portions at first, so you can figure out what you like best
My brother, who was bagong ligo sa bagong tao (newly bathed for the new year), did the cooking for our tasting portions
My favorite was the shitake wrapped in pork bacon
It is even yummier if you cook it long enough for the bacon to be slightly crunchy and the mushroom really juicy
We also liked this beef the best.  I may have gotten too much.
Center column, Top Row.  Don't ask us what it is, the signs are really stupid unhelpful.
Our cooking style is to only put one piece per person at a time,
because we don't like our meat well done.
My siblings will blame me for the charred meat in the picture, because I took too long to take a snap. 
My sister says, sprinkling this seasoning after the beef is cooked makes it taste better.
I tried to add it to the marinate.  It reminded me of yoshinoya.  Yummmm...
They
There were a lot of sauces.
I liked the Sambokojin Sauce best.  I stayed away from the sickeningly sweet ones.
Ponzu sauce tastes similar to vinegar. My sister said it will probably go well with the Quail Eggs...
and it will remind you of quekquek.  hahaha.
I had to stand up to get more food for variety.
One can NOT live on marbled beef and bacon alone.  Hahaha.
Sayang. It was only on this trip that I saw the greens.
I started eating my beef and bacon in a healthier fashion... Hahaha...
The restaurant has a no leftover policy (or you pay extra).
Lola Yaya had to help with my sashimi...
but she had to cook it since she does not eat raw fish.
These are the other cooked food available that we did not touch.
There were noodles, veggies, gyoza... etc.
I heard the kamameshi was also good, but we didn't try it
Our empty plates
I was the only one who had space for dessert.
The dessert table looked pretty sad when we visited as it was nearly closing time.
I was still able to get a sweet slice of watermelon and some chocolate dipping sauce :p
You know, to start the new year right and all that.
My grilled pineapple reminded me of the Rodizio in Brazilwhere waiters bring you grilled meat till your full, then grilled pineapple for dessert.
If only they had cinnamon powder to sprinkle on the pineapple.
My brother was in a food coma.  Almost literally.
He asked me to drive home because he was too full to do it.
Sambokojin literally means Kitchen God.  From what I've read, it seems that it's part of the Triple V Group that made the Eat-All-You-Can with no leftovers concept famous in the Philippines.  It's once upon a time popular relatives include Saisaki, Dad's and Kamayan.  The branch we ate in was Eastwood (above Something Fishy), but I think they also have a branch in Edsa.

Pricing is quite reasonable for the Philippines and dirt cheap for Singapore at P495 (SG$14.5) for Lunch and P595 (SG$17.5) for Dinner.  They have a kids rate at P295 (SG$8.65), however, when I asked for the bill, they told me that they will just bill us for four adults as the kid did not eat much anyway.  Thanks Sambokojin for the 5 Shrimp Tempura, 3 pieces of corn and white rice that you treated my daughter too.  I assure you, she was very happy and full.  Because of that, I have no complaints about the service.  

If you ask me what I think of the food, I will say... It's okay, as long as you do NOT expect anything to be authentic Japanese.  If you ask me if I'll come back, I'll probably say, Sure, Why not? The best thing about this place is that you do not come out smelling like the dinner you just ate.  Just Saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment