Sunday, June 24, 2012

Almost Paradise... NOT

SINGAPORE SERIES

I am a sucker for a sale. We all know that.

Though unfortunately, because I travel a lot, I am not able to buy as many GROUP ON discount vouchers as I want. I only had one experience buying a Group On voucher before which I asked Tim to buy, we went to Batam (which did not turn out as good as expected), but for what it cost us, I guess it was still a good deal.

Spa and Nail services are VERY expensive in Singapore, so I am normally interested when I come across attractive deals from places that are centrally located. When I saw an offer for 90min Spa Manicure Pedicure for SG$20 (educated guess, since I bought it a long time ago) from SG$106 at a place in Raffles Place (implying it's POSH), I just could not resist.

This was my voucher.

It was valid from the time I bought it in November 2011 until the first week of May 2012, however, every time I tried to book a slot on short notice, they were always FULLY BOOKED!

Raffles Place is at the heart of Singapore's Central Business District. 
Almost Paradise is at The Arcade. It's a bit difficult to find. Look for this sculpture and One Raffles Place because it is right across this.
The building also has another entrance.
It's right across Fullerton Bay Hotel with a good view of Marina Bay Sands.
My toes pre-pedicure.
The Arcade was probably once nice.
Location is where the POSHness ends. This is Almost Paradise NOT.
They don't even have a proper sign. I think there was a sticker that said Salone
If this were in the Philippines, I would NOT enter. Just Saying.
I can't for the life of me figure out why every single day I called to ask for an appointment "They were supposedly fully booked!!!" There was no one there when I arrived early for my appointment. Not even the manicurists (though I think she's the lady in the picture, eating outside the shop). Hahaha.

They also had NO english magazines, so I bought one from the vendor in front of  Raffles Place MRT. I chose the one with the free Scarf.
They ask if you want a coat of Quick Dry, but you need to pay an extra SG$2. If you say no, then they bring out their Nail Dryer. Uhmmmm....
Like every over-priced Manicure I've had in Singapore, it only looks good from a far.
Had I been in the Philippines, I would have asked her to re do it till she got it right.
My free scarf came in handy on my way home. Buses in Singapore are always freezing.

I will not give you any details of Almost Paradise. I don't recommend it. I don't even know how they can claim to charge SG$106 as the original price for the service I received. It boggles the mind. Maybe Group On vouchers are not meant for me. Hahaha. Just Saying. 

Now, let's just see if I can pass up the next good bargain that comes my way ;)



1 comment:

  1. chance upon your blog. and i totally agree with your post. a total disappointment when i went into their shop. It is the shabbiest and most unprofessional nail salon i have ever entered. When they were ALWAYS fully booked. I thought it was a posh place with endless customer.

    ReplyDelete