Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Hotel 252 Phnom Penh

There are so many value for money, boutique hotels in Phnom Penh. The problem is choosing one. Normally, when you book a hotel that's not affiliated with any chain, it's like a lottery. You never know if it looks anything like the pictures on their website. In fact, there are some countries like India, where the rule of thumb is lower your expectations to 60%! When I need to make the decision blindly, I normally go for location, then whatever amenities I like (such as free wifi, a nice looking spa if i'm alone, and a pool if i'm travelling with Sofia). However, we didn't need to take a risk in Phnom Penh because my aunt who travels a lot to Phnom Penh for work recommended the 252 to us.

It's just like you're visiting someone's big house.
There's a sign and the gate.

We tentatively opened the gate, but when we saw the pool,
I knew we were in the right place because I recognized it from the website.


Check-in was a breeze. I booked a standard double room through agoda.com for SG$60 (around US$47 or Php2,000) a night, so I just gave them the voucher I printed when we arrived. We needed to fill in a sheet with our names, nationality and passport numbers, but they didn't even ask to look at our passports. I asked them if I needed to pay anything extra for Sofia who's four and they told us that we needed to pay for her breakfast (US$5.50 for a full breakfast) as we only have breakfast for two complimentary with our room, but if she doesn't order, her stay is free.


There is a TukTuk Price List at the front desk so you know how much to pay.
We were given a room on the first floor and it was simple, nice and modern.
Sofia was happy they had an extra bed for two.
This is a tad minimalist for my taste, but I guess they make it work.
When I remember again how much I paid, I don't complain.
It matches the table too... 
...and the headboard, side tables and the base of the bed.
Sofia bouncing and jumping on this bed was giving the nanny a heart attack!
Pretend surfing on Pooh's bed.
My daughter who loves hotel of any kind immediately checked out the bathroom.
She was kind of sad there was no tub. She said our hotel in Paris was better.
Malamang! That was the Hyatt Regency Madeleine!
The accent they used to decorate the interiors is by Tendance Khmere.
Handmade Products from Cambodian Silk with French design.
You can visit their site here.
Oooooh... an iPod dock. Just like the Intercontinental Asiana Saigon.
There are so many boutique hotels in Phnom Penh, all around the same price range.
My aunt recommended this, and our only requirement is a pool for Sofia. 
They always have pool towels ready for the guests.
When we arrived, all the pool side pavilions were full.
I like hotels that have a rack of books and magazines left by guests
because the other guests (like me) get to enjoy it.

After we did our to do list in the first 2 hours after arriving, which included a cupcake run, shopping in the market and getting a few pictures of the Royal Palace literally, we needed a dip in the pool to cool down.

Mom!!! I'm ready... your bikini top is too big for me!
Anywhere we go, she loves trying the pool... and the playground.
Little fish.
She just learned how to float on her back so she's showing off.
It was a good time to swim because we finally had space.
Yaya was just waiting for us to finish.
I finally joined Fif, after much nagging.
She swam until it got dark.
She loved flopping into the pool.

Admittedly, we spent the most time in Phnom Penh at the hotel. It was really SG$60 well spent. I woke up early so I went out to lie by the pool (and reserve a pavilion!).

Sofia heard me leave, so she got up to snuggle with me.
They can also serve your breakfast here.
Fif was fascinated by the Coffee press.
We had a continental breakfast with Bacon and Eggs.
Sofia shared our food, but she also had her own stash.
The coffee smelled similar to the Vietnamese one, but was much weaker.
My breakfast.
Yaya and Fif's breakfast.
Mango Jam.
Weekend = Carb Cheat Day
So I had a bacon sandwich with fried eggs. Yummm...
As I write this post, I am telling myself, tomorrow I am having bacon sandwich and fried eggs.
Philippine Independence Day = Carb Cheat Day... Hahaha
They also served a fruit plate for dessert.
Sofia teaching yaya how to play one of her games.
My little backpacker changed into jeans because she was getting bitten by mosquitos.
Testing the water to see if it was warm enough to swim in.
Playing hide and seek with yaya.
It's pool time again!
Hitching a ride from mom. Cheaper than riding the Tuktuk.
Having the last of our yummy Bloom cupcakes for our after swim snack,
which i had while I practiced my French reading the French ELLE.
We requested for a late check-out at 1pm.
It was a good time to go to the bus station because the little backpacker is sleepy na.

The 252 is definitely a good find.
Thank you very much Auntie Stell for the recommendation.

The 252
#19 street 252
phnom penh, cambodia
tel + 855 23 998 252
email: info@the-252.com



No comments:

Post a Comment