Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Trung Nguyen Coffee

I love coffee... and I normally like my coffee strong. I gravitate to the stronger intensity Nespresso flavors. So it's no surprise that with with correct Milk, Sugar and Water proportions, I like Vietnamese Coffee too.

I like it so much that I've already written about it. You can read that here. But what I really wanted to try was Trung Nguyen, The No. 1 Coffee - quoting their slogan. This coffee shop is mentioned quite often in the articles I've read on things to do in Vietnam, and I think I even recall seeing one of their branches in Liang Court Mall in Singapore. I really wanted to try it, but the weird thing was there was a Highlands Coffee Shop in every corner and we go there a lot because it's the closest convenient place for lunch near our office, but it took us two weeks before we finally stumbled on an accessible Trung Nguyen branch (meaning we were not in taxi and seeing it while driving through an unknown location). 

I saw this coffee shop after we had dinner at Pizza Hut near the spa I like going to.
The proudly claim to be number 1.
I hope that means they'll have more accessible branches like their competitor.
The menu.
It's quite confusing. Everything is in Vietnamese.
I was told that the difference of this coffee shop is they make different blends to suit every taste.
I relied on the waiter who explained to me Blend 1 (thoughts) is very strong.
Blend 5 (success) is the one with the strongest smell. This is what I tried.
There might be a miscommunication here so don't quote me. 
This was our order.
The waited was putting the coffee filter on top of the cup with condensed milk.
Their competitor just serves it to you in the glass so I guess this has more of the coffee experience.
Closer look.
Then you need to wait around 5 minutes for it to finish dripping.
Their display.
Sofia wanted me to take her picture while waiting.
You can buy instant coffee and the coffee powder for the filter.
You know it's done when there is no more water.
It really smelled good.
The little coffee connoisseur wanted to be the one to mix it.
It gets a bit lighter in color.
Then you pore it over the ice.
Mix mix mix.
Photo credit: Sofia
She gave up the barista duties for the camera!
I could only mix because Sofia wanted to try it first.
Photo credit: Sofia
Hmmmm...
The success blend was a success!
It has the Sofia stamp of approval.
It was really good.
It smelled good and it was sweet and smooth.
Yaya and I hoarded but we couldn't buy much because they came in big packs.
Then on another day, I realized I also wanted to know what it tastes like hot,
so we had to look for another branch close to our hotel.
It was less than 10minutes away but in a hidden side street.
They served it the same way, except with no ice because I ordered it hot.
Sofia tried the Coffee Mouse.
It reminded me of the icing of the Goldilocks mocha cake,
except that the icing to cake proportion has been reversed.
The water is also coffee flavored.
It's a good thing I attempted to try it hot at the coffee shop.
It was too strong for me...
so I converted my order to the Iced Coffee I loved instead.

I couldn't wait to go back to Singapore so I could start playing with my new coffee toys. I didn't want to open my big packs of success, but I found smaller Trung Nguyen filter coffee packs from the convenient store (which we hoarded to finish our cash) and I was curious to know if it tasted as good. Today I was able to play with my new toys while Fif was at school.


VIETNAMESE COFFEE SHOWDOWN

Presenting: 
Generic Market Coffee vs. Trung Nguyen, The No. 1 Coffee

I put the same amount of condensed milk in both cups.
and the same amount of coffee. Roughly 1.75 scoops.
The instructions called 20g or 3 teaspoons.
Yaya was doing the smell test.
The generic market coffee smelled more rough,
Trung Nguyen was more subtle but with a strong coffee aromo if you know what I mean.
Grounds from the Market.
Grounds from Trung Nguyen.
They look the same if you ask me.
Then I put in the water.
The market cup immediately turned light brown, while the No. 1 brand was lighter.
I prepared the glasses of ice while waiting.
intermission while waiting:
My new toys, magnet included.
The market filter drained faster.
It looks so black. Just like the ones you order in Vietnam.
The branded one came out lighter but this was after the condensed milk was mixed.
That's how it looks iced.
A closer look.

The Verdict: 

I prefer the generic market coffee because I like my coffee stronger.
It's better iced than hot.
Trung Nguyen was good too just weaker.
Or maybe the color has a psychological effect.
Sofia liked this better.
I think this one is the better one if you're drinking it hot.

That's all folks. I hoarded loads so I can share some with family and friends when I go home to Manila next week. Just Saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment