Saturday, June 9, 2012

Off to Phnom Penh

We're going to Cambodia for another weekend adventure. Wish us luck because we're brave enough to attempt going over land. The tickets only cost us 200,000VND for one way, that's just US$10! (It's actually cheaper than the hydrofoil to Vung Tau which I wrote about here). Let me reserve judgement on whether or not that's a steal depending on our experience. The trip is said to be 6 hours for each way so it's just like going to Baguio, but I'm a bit stubborn about not wanting to leave too early and we only have the weekend so we'll only be there for around 24 hours. I researched going to Siem Reap but that was just too ambitious to do over land in just 2 days.

We went to Ho Chi Minh's backpacker area to buy our bus tickets.
Phnom Penh here we come!


These are the things that made me decide to go to Phnom Penh:

1. Royal Palace
At least there's something to see and add to my Been There, Done That List.
I don't even need to enter. A picture from outside is good enough.
Photo Credit: Wikipedia
I heard there's a Silver Pagoda with thousands of silver tiles on the floor - but photos are not allowed so I don't mind not going. I'd rather go to the market to buy the silver... Ideally, with gems in them! Which leads me to the next item on my list...

2. Central Market and the Night Market
My aunt has traveled quite a lot to Phnom Penh for her projects and she has always brought back nice stuff that she makes into even nicer jewelry. She has also gotten me a nice bag that I like using to carry around my laptop in (it's dying so I am hoping to get a new one! or more...)

3. Bloom Cafe
Also through the same aunt, I have seen pictures of really yummy looking cupcakes from Bloom Cafe that she carries back for her family in Hong Kong. They are a non-profit organization that provides vocational training and employment opportunities for Cambodian Women. Wow... I can eat as much cupcakes as I want because the more I eat, the more I help... What a great excuse to pig out! I found their website which you can visit here. It will really make you drool. They are only open Mon-Sat 10:00am-5:00pm so visiting this cafe is the first thing I want to do when we get there. 

Photo Credit: Bloom Cafe's Facebook Cover Photo


I am hoping we also get time to enjoy the pool in our boutique hotel.
Hahaha.Wish us Luck! Just Saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment