Thursday, June 7, 2012

Jollibee Ho Chi Minh tastes so much like Home

I am an OFW (Overseas Filipino Worker).

I realized I am one because I now love and crave Jollibee. In some way, it symbolizes that I am home, because every time I fly back to Manila, the first meal I want to have is Chicken Joy and Palabok Meal (Palabok is a type of local rice noodles with an orange sauce and dried fish, pork rind and shrimp toppings) ordered through the drive-through window so I can enjoy it at home while spending time with my family, while I'm unpacking my bags and giving everyone the small presents I got them from whichever part of the world I've been to.


On my previous visit to Vietnam, I remember passing by a few Jollibee branches because I observed then that it was very unique to find a country which had our local Philippine Fast Food Chain instead of the normally world famous McDonald's, but since we were only here to shop for a few days and because that was also before my OFW days when I didn't really care for Jollibee, we had no interest at all in eating there.


Things are definitely different now. The last time I was in Manila was two months ago in April, and the last time I had Jollibee was when yaya brought us a bucket of Chicken Joy when she met us in Singapore after we got back from London. It just seems ages ago.

It totally slipped my mind that there were Jollibee branches here until a few days ago, when the cab we took to the office passed a different route (he was trying to rip us off indirectly by taking us on the scenic route) and we passed one, so I am quite thankful he wanted to rip us off. I obviously could not get it out of my mind because last night, I ended up googling Jollibee branches in HCMC. I found several branches but the street names sounded Greek to me. There were enough links online for me to figure out that they had a branch in District 1, but I had no idea where it was. I promised Sofia I will take her after work today, so we just went to the Concierge and ask him to help us figure out the closest one.

Jollibee on Pasteur.
It was a 15 minute walk from our hotel. I was so happy to see this!
They have a limited menu with only burgers, spaghetti (I am craving for Palabok too!) and Chicken.
I ordered a Champ.
I ate it the "no-carb" way, ditching the bread.
It was sooooooo good. The burger tastes just like the burger at home.
I wanted another one but I exercised some control and started sharing Sofia's food instead.

I also ordered Chicken Strips as a side dish. It's better as a snack with gravy.
The rice is Sofia's so this is no carb too!
Hahaha, I was attempting to do a healthier approach to Jollibee.
Sofia had a normal 1 piece Chicken Joy with fries.
She shared my Chicken Strips and I also ate part of her Chicken Joy.
Sofia does not eat the skin, she says it's unhealthy.
So, I sacrifice and help her with it! Even at the expense of my health.
Hahahaha. The Chicken Joy is slightly different.
I think it's more crumbly, but the skin is much crispier. It was soooo yummy.
Jollibee is one of Sofia's favorite restaurants.
No judgement please.
Half the customers were Pinoys, but the other half were locals. 
I thought Jollibee is cheaper here than the Philippines but I may be wrong.
It's definitely cheaper than KFC and Lotteria (the other popular fast food chain).
Sana they increase the price. Let's be proud to be Pinoy, it is good fast food.

That was a good dinner. I told Sofia we can come back one more time next week. :)

Dear Jollibee, Perfect na sana... but can you serve some Gravy please. Charge us if you have to. Chicken Joy is just NOT the same without it. Also, can you please serve us Coke with our Champ. Pepsi is just not the same. Just Saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment