Saturday, June 2, 2012

Vietnamese Coffee

Vietnamese Coffee is an acquired taste. It's so strong, that an undiluted shot sort of reminds me of the taste of a shot of vodka. I like it, but normally with a lot of milk and a hefty dose of sugar. Hahaha, just like I like my vodka camouflaged with mixers till you can't taste it anymore.

I normally order cappuccino with my breakfast so I start out with normal coffee, and when my schedule allows it, I normally like getting an Iced Coffee (the local one) after lunch or in the afternoon. It's best when you have enough time to let the ice melt, so it dilutes it further without really affecting strength of the taste. When I have no time, I settle for coffee from the office pantry with loads of milk and sugar of course.

I bought a basic local coffee set from the market last weekend because I wanted to try something that I could bring back home with me to add to my coffee toys. The lady was selling me the freshly ground beans but because there were so many kinds of beans and a language barrier to boot, I wanted to buy the packaged one so it would be simple enough to go back and buy the same thing.

Generic packaged local coffee and the local coffee filter.
You put the filter over your cup, add three spoons of coffee .
Cover it, then add the hot water.
Then cover the whole thing and leave it to drip.
Voila! Local coffee.
In restaurants, Iced Coffee is served with condensed milk just like Singapore's Kopi.
For our temporary home at the hotel, fresh milk will do.

The experiment was a success. On my to do list is to go back to the market and buy more - for personal use and for pasalubong (presents). If you want some, and you're not sure if you're in my pasalubong list, message me! 

I didn't get my dose of local coffee today so I'm going to sleep now.  Just Saying. Good night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment