Tuesday, July 15, 2014

For the love of Italian Espresso and Bialetti

Coffee makes my world go round. Seriously. Without it, I don't think I'll be able to make coherent conversation with anyone, much less function like a normal person. Hahaha. Fine, that's a bit of an exaggeration but you get the drift.

I love Italian Coffee. I swear by my Nespresso machine which gives you instant espresso that's as good as the real thing, but when I have time on weekends, I love using my moka.

I got my first Moka from a discount store in London because I saw it in the window while I was waiting for the bus. I bought a set for £10 that came with a can of Illy Espresso, the moka and 2 espresso cups and saucers. An Italian lady shopping at the same time was kind enough to explain to me that all I needed to do was put water in the bigger compartment, coffee in the smaller valve, but it on top of the stove, and voila, you'll smell it when it's ready, like magic. 

We used my moka many times in our Singapore house,
especially when we have brunch on the balcony.

Since my first moka was note really made for quality, I couldn't resist picking up the real thing on my last trip to Florence. Bialetti is known as the creator of the Moka when it was patented in 1933 by Luigi De Ponti for Alfonso Bialetti, so stopping by their store was something on my Florence to do list. 

Bialetti has a store right in the heart of Piazza della Repubblica.
Espresso lovers heaven
I was so tempted to buy one of their instant espresso machines
since they look so nice and were so cheap, but finding the capsules here
would be the challenge.
They had more expensive models, and they
even had it in cammo.
The moka has come a long way. You can now buy an electric version,
for use where you don't have a stove top.
I love the crushed looking espresso cups.
and the colorful single serve Mokas.
As usual I couldn't resist a promo pack, so I got the passion moka set,
which came with a 3 cup moka, 3 bialetti espresso cups with matching stirrers.
All for only €21.90.
It's coffee that makes a home.
I loved shopping in Bialetti. If luggage allowance were
not a problem, I would have bought so much more.
Of course, I couldn't come home without stocking up on espresso
for my moka. So I might have gone a bit overboard.
Love my new Moka Set.
Though I use my pink moka more often during
the weekends.

If you love coffee as much as I do, buy your own moka. There's nothing like the smell of freshly brewed espresso in the morning. just saying.


Bialetti
Piazza della Repubblica, 25, 
50123 Firenze, Italy
+39 055 230 2554

1 comment:

  1. So cute!! Loving the little red cups set! I'm also looking for a moka set myself =)

    ReplyDelete