Saturday, January 10, 2015

Easy to make Quiche Recipe

I love all things French. Quiche included. In fact, when I lived in France, Quiche used to be one of my staple foods (from the limited Supermarket ready to eat options that I lived on for 6 months). I love it so much that I look for good quiche even in the Philippines.

One of my favorite ones is the Quiche Lorraine and Margherita Quiche of Purple Oven, but buying it is a bit frustrating, because I need to go out of my way to pass their shop, and most of the time, when I get there, the Quiche is already sold out.

This year, it seems like Sofia and I have been doing a lot of new things. We started the year with our successful Tres Leches cake experiment which you can read about here. Another thing I wanted to learn was Calligraphy, but since workshop schedules are erratic, not to mention a workshop costs Php1,800 to Php2,000, I decided to teach myself instead.

You may be wondering why I've gone off-topic. That's because when I started practicing Calligraphy, Sofia wanted to do Calligraphy as well. So my first step was to buy her Practice Writing in Script Work Books.

Sofia's script and my practice calligraphy
While I was at my favorite bookstore, I found this Crepes and Quiches
cookbook (on sale of course!), so I decided to buy it, then I brought it to the
Supermarket the next day so I could buy ingredients.

I bought my cookbook because the recipes looked simple enough, with the ingredients all locally available, and it was only Php80 (previously priced at Php245). I almost fainted the next day when I realized that my Supermarket bill for ingredients alone was Php1,000!!! I really felt like I outsmarted myself given that 1 quiche in Purple Oven is less than Php100! (I think it's only around Php85!)

Quiche is really easy to make. The cookbook has a choice between Basic Quiche Crust and Extra Rich Crust, so we made the Extra Rich one of course.

Sofia, who always bakes with her Gammy was a willing accomplice, who even insisted on making the dough by herself.

Step 1: Sift 1 and a half cups flour (375ml) and half a teaspoon salt (2ml) then you need to cut your 90ml chilled butter and 30ml chilled shortening into the flour with a pastry blender.


Step 2: Once butter and shortening is mixed into the flour, add 5 tablespoons (75ml) ice water and mix into a ball. You can knead it for several minutes if not mixed too well.
Once done, shape into a ball, put in ziplock and refrigerate for an hour.
Just bring back to room temperature before rolling.

Step 3: Roll out dough to around 1/8 inch, but this was purely an estimate on our end. Then you line the mold. 

The key to blind baking the quiche dough, is making sure that you put baking weights. Beans or Rice also works (which is what we used).
Don't forget to grease your pan. I used Olive Oil Spray for mine.
Don't forget to line your dough with paper before you put in your pie weights.
We were even able to make a small quiche from the extra dough.

Step 4: Bake dough for 10-12 minutes in a pre-heated oven at 200degrees Celcius.

Step 5: When done, remove pie weights, prick dough with a fork, and let cool for at least 5 minutes before filling.


There are actually so many quiche variations you can do, but whenever I bake, I normally make what I like eating, and I find the easiest way to make it. Since I don't really cook, I crossed out all the quiche options that require any sort of cooking. So that actually ruled out Quiche Lorraine, because I didn't want to bother cooking any bacon. However, I substituted the recipe with ham instead.

Step 6: Fix your desired filling. I didn't follow the recipe quantities for this because I made mini quiche instead of a big one. Then fix your egg mixture (just mix 4 large eggs and 1 cup or 250ml cream).


Step 7: Start filling in your pre-baked crust, just layer the desired filling, then pour in the egg mixture until full.
Jambon et Fromage made with Ham, Emmenthal and Parmesan cheese
Basil, Tomato and loads of grated Mozarella
Don't worry about overfilling because the egg mixture needs to seep in
between the other ingredients, and your pan will hold it all anyway.

Step 7: Bake for 20 minutes or until egg mixture is set in a 190 degrees Celsius preheated oven.
Voila!
I tried the Margherita first and it was so yummy, especially when topped
with truffle oil and sea salt. See the stringy mozza goodness???
Even the jambon et fromage turned out well!
I was so happy with how Project Quiche turned out!
Even the quiche made from the excess dough and filling turned out well.
The even work well as zip lock cartoon faces!


The expensive ingredients was totally worth it because I still have enough to make a few more batches. I found the quiche really good, I even managed to impress myself. I can totally get married to someone French now. just saying.

1 comment: