Friday, January 9, 2015

Tai Lei Loi Kei Pork Chop Buns in Macau

I've been to Macau several times before and I never realized that Pork Chop buns are their famous local snack. It was only when I did research on what to eat in Macau did I come across Tai Lei Loi Kei, the popular Pork Chop Bun place which has their original branch in the Old Taipa Village.

Since my sister had to visit City of Dreams, where I only agreed to accompany her as long as we crossed over to The Venetian - since they have a branch of Tai Lei Loi Kei and Lord Stow's there, we finally got to try the popular Pork Chop Bun that's referred to as the best in Macau.

Tai Lei Loi Kei has a stall at The Venetian food court.
We ordered one Pork Chop Bun each and Milk Tea to share.
It doesn't look like much, but it tasted pretty good, which may also be
because this was our first meal, it was 1pm and we were super starving!
I really like the bun because it's the consistency of a baguette.
Crusty on the outside, soft and it tasted lightly buttered on the inside.
I just don't get the bones in the pork chop. Seriously? How can you be the
best when you serve bones?! This feels similar to the Original Taiwanese
Chicken Chops served with the bone.
The taste was good, but I really felt that the Pork Chop could be thicker.
Especially since one Pork Chop bun is 55MOP (US$7).
Just on pricing comparison, 55MOP is just so much more expensive than the Black Pepper Duck Rice at 33MOP or the hole in the wall Roast Duck and Lechon Macau which only cost us 20MOP each dish. I'm just not sure if The Venetian branch had Venetian prices since I didn't think it was special enough to visit their original store in the Old Taipa Village.

Interestingly, after that first meal, I saw places selling Pork Chop Bun on almost every street corner! Even bakeries have them.

We saw this guy on the way to The Ruins of St. Paul
In fairness, places like this had quite a lot of people buying
from them, and their Pork Chop Bun was half the price.
We even saw another Pork Chop Bun by the Ruins.
Buti pa si Ate, nakapayong! Good for the lady, she even had an umbrella.

I think I only ended up with the opinion that the Pork Chop Bun was expensive in comparison to the really cheap and yummy Roast Duck that you can get in Macau which you can read about here. But I'll be honest, Ady and I actually wanted to get another one to share between us. just saying.


Tai Lei Loi Kei Pork Chop Buns
The Venetian Macao
Estrada da Baia de Nossa Senhora da Esperanca
Macau

No comments:

Post a Comment