Sunday, October 25, 2015

Singapore and Vietnam Eats and Supermarket Finds

The travelling schedule for work has resumed once again. Last week was a blur between Singapore and Ho Chi Minh. I actually spent most of the weekend hibernating and catching up on sleep.

I arrived on Singapore around 6pm on Tuesday, with tightly packed days following it, so I immediately rushed to Anchorpoint and Orchard Road to get my errands done.
I love Singapore efficiency so much, I even arrived before Anson for our
late dinner. He brought me to Choo Choo Chicken, a sort of newly
opened Korean Fried Chicken place I think Sofia will enjoy.

During my shopping sprint, I discovered the Magazine Freebie wonderland in Kinokuniya, which you can read about here.
I had to wake up extra early to have time to enjoy reading my
magazines over breakfast so I could ditch them.
Sadly, Singapore was so hazy when I was there.
Good thing for this trip, I was able to schedule a catch-up lunch with Dung,
a good friend from my old job, and he took me to this newly opened
Vietnamese place near the office, which deserves a separate blog post.
My Singapore office staple, is always a Ben & Jerry's fix. If only to average
all the B&J's I had to pay for when I was working there since it's now FOC.
For such a short trip, I still managed to buy loads! Good thing Tim is my savior. He not only lets me choose where I want to drag him to eat, he carries my "excess shopping" too, to be stored in his home and to be brought home on another trip when I decide to check-in luggage.
We had dinner at the popular Tenkaichi, which is a Teppanyaki Grill
that is award winning and has Wagyu (SG$65++ from SG$99 on weekdays).  
Good thing, I arrived late and our Filipina server told us we wouldn't be able to maximize the buffet since the last call was at 9:30pm, so we recommended we order ala carte.
This is the wagyu that is included in the buffet. Grade 3, Japanese or Australian
beef. Barely marbled. If you eat Wagyu beef in Japan, this won't make the cut.
To make the buffet worth it, each person must eat atleast 4 plates. 
The best dish we ordered was the mushroom dish sizzling in butter.
This was really good for SG$12.50.
I wouldn't recommend Tenkaichi for their Yakiniku buffet, but it's not too
bad if you're looking for a place to eat in Marina Square.
Just stick to the mushrooms and the tempura, and don't expect ambiance.
My Singapore haul inlcudes Mamee Monster (Noodle Snack that you put
flavoring in, crush and eat), yummy Hazelnut flavored Lipton Milk Tea,
and the plum salt used for fruit like Guava, Pineapple or Watermelon.

The next day, I had to rush to catch my flight to Ho Chi Minh City, because we had scheduled meetings in the office for that afternoon. Thankfully, the flight arrived on time, so after meeting my boss at the hotel, there was enough time for us to have lunch before needing to head to the office.

Our first stop was Cuc Gach Quan, one of my favorite places for local food.
You can read my post on that here.
When in Vietnam... have coffee like the locals do.
Our meetings ran late (the market was closed na)  so we settled
for a good dinner instead. Bo Tung Xeo, recommended by
Anson was walking distance from the hotel and was really good.


When we got back to the hotel, i asked them to book a mani
and pedi for me at My Spa, a favorite from 4 years ago.
You can read about that here.

Finally, it was Friday, TGIF literally, and i had time to wrap up loose ends and work in peace until our flight back, but since you really can't go to Ho Chi Minh without having some of the best pizza in the world, I made a reservation for an early lunch before we had to go to the airport.

If you can't order much from Pizzaa4Ps because you're just 1 or 2, these are the musts!
Truffle Camembert to start. Ask for 2 truffle, no herbed.
It's 10x better.
Prociutto Margherita Buratta Pizza. You can order half half,
but why do that when this is the best.
On Supermarket finds, Sof loves the dried jackfruit.
I discovered instant Pho but I need to try it, and
my favorite coffee blend is Blue Mountain which you buy
from Saigon Square 1 or Ben Thanh Market.
Tomorrow, I am off to Bangkok, so hopefully more good food for my tummy and more grocery finds to challenge myself to bring home. At least I've just been energized with a hot stone massage.  just saying...

SINGAPORE EATS
Choo Choo Chicken
Orchard Cineleisure #03-06, 
8 Grange Road,
Singapore 239695 (Somerset MRT)

Uncle Ho Tuckshop
100 Pasir Panjang Road #01-04
Singapore 118518 

Tenkaichi (highly NOT recommended)
Marina Square Shopping Mall #03-129,
6 Raffles Bloulevard, 
Singapore 039594


HO CHI MINH EATS
Cuc Gach Quan
10 Đặng Tất, Tân Định, 
Quận 1, Hồ Chí Minh, Vietnam
+84 8 3848 0144 (reservations recommended)

Bo Tung Xeo
31 Ly Tu Trong 
District 1, Ho Chi Minh City
Vietnam

Pizza 4Ps
8/15, Lê Thánh Tôn, 
District 1, Hồ Chí Minh, Vietnam
+84 120 789 4444 (reservations recommended)

No comments:

Post a Comment