Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Yummy Ooma (Rice Bar) for modern Japanese food

Long weekends are love. During the last long weekend to celebrate Eid al-Adha, I didn't have anything planned (for a change), so I actually got to rest and spend time at home with Fi doing what we love best, cooking and crafting.

I was so well rested that there was a day that I cooked all three meals, inspired by different cities around the world!
Breakfast started with a taste of Paris. I was taking everyone's crepe order!
It was only my second attempt at using my crepe maker, but I handled
it so much better this time. I didn't throw away any rejects.
I just ate the one crepe that broke while I was cooking. Yummy...
Jambon et Fromage, Nutella and Banana with Salted Caramel Butter
and Creme de marrons (Chestnut Cream) topped with Whipped Cream.
Lunch was Indonesia-inspired. Green Chili Indomie (my new fave) which I
admit Yaya prepared, but which I poshified with Fried Egg and Truffle Oil.
For dinner, with Col Sanders as my able helper, I prepared Salted Egg
Fried Chicken, which was even better than some of the Salted Egg dishes
I've had in Singapore.
It made a nice Rice Bowl too.
I don't really cook, so this was definitely a stretch for me. In fact, except for Quiche and Caprese Salad, I think that's my whole cooking repertoire, so the next day, it was back to eating out for us, which after the long intro, brings us to the topic (based on the post title) at hand.

Ooma Rice Bar is the newest restaurant opened by Chef Bruce Ricketts, of Sensei Sushi Bar, which you can read about here.  The best part about Ooma, is it's in our part of the city! Accessible enough in SM Megamall, but best to use a driver, because even Valet Parking is a headache. The place is also quite popular so best to eat at odd hours.

I don't get why the place is called a rice bar, but with good food, who cares what it's called. They seem to have a smaller Sashimi and Maki selection but with the right choices, they still manage to hit the spot.
Tataki is Ooma's version of Sashimi. Lightly Seared and very well seasoned.
Tuna Tataki (Php195)
I loved the California Taco-Maki. A bit messy to eat, just like a taco,
but oh so yummy, just like a taco. (2 pcs Php135)
Instead of providing dipping plates for the soy sauce,
they try to up the ambiance by letting you brush it on
instead. A bit of a hassle if you like mixing wasabi in.
We ordered Ebi Tempura Maki (Php225). This was the most ordinary,
but we ordered it for variety so that's fine.
I had the highest hopes for Oyakodon (Php289), which is so much better
value, than Sensei Sushi's Gyudon, which I think was a rip-off.
Just add Japanese Chili Powder. The free salad was a nice surprise.
The picture of the Crispy Chicken Skin really raises
expectations.
Reality is such a let down though. Crispy tasteless oily unhealthy thing.
I think they scraped out all the yummy fat.
My sister who loves chicken skin also didn't touch this.

The best part is, my sister even treated me for lunch! Hooray, thanks shobs! She said she treated me because I cooked for all her meals the day before. Over-all, I'm happy Ooma is so accessible, despite SM valet parking issues and all that. just saying.


Ooma Rice Bar
Third floor, Mega Fashion Hall
SM Megamall
Ortigas, Mandaluyong City

No comments:

Post a Comment