Friday, March 28, 2014

Gavino's Mochi Ball Donuts

I am not really a donut fan, but I absolutely love the Japanese Pon De Ring donuts. (Also known as Chewisties in Korea and Taiwan!)

You can read my post on Dunkin' Donuts Korea here and Mister Donut Cafe here to learn more about why I love their chewy goodness so.

A few years back, Gavino's opened at the Greenhills Town Center (Granada Street), we tried their regular donuts - and even it just seemed like a great idea, that was not executed well.


Gavino's Greenhills Town Center
Pictures from April 2012
We let these 2 picky eaters be the judge.
Seems like the best part of the donut is the gummy bear.

My officemate brought some Mochi Balls to the office a few days ago, and when she mentioned that they were from Gavino's I really didn't want to try them. However, I was quite surprised when she said they were quite good so I bummed a bite. Surprisingly, they were very good.

The donut consistency is now closer to what I expect the Pon De Ring donut to be, soft and chewy at the same time. They also have interesting flavors and yummy filling which is not too sweet. A big part of the donut is actually air - so you don't feel too guilty if you just eat half. They also managed to fill it just right, so you don't feel that it's too little, and you get a nice flavor combination of the filling and the dough.

Since I found myself in the area, I bought a box of 6
to take home.
I was pleasantly surprised again because a regular Mochi Ball is only Php15 (less than SG$0.50) which I think is a steal! In the order of the picture above (clockwise starting from 12), I brought home Red Velvet, Peanut Butter, Chocolate, Bavarian, Hazelnut, and Green Tea.

Sofia has given the two chocolate flavors her stamp of approval and has asked me to buy more. Yaya liked the Bavarian and I also liked the Red Velvet and Green Tea halves that I've eaten. Only the Peanut Butter was so-so. Not bad, just not good enough to crave for.

Great job Gavino's in developing the Mochi Balls! We will now be coming back for more, though your regular donuts still need more work. just saying.

We enjoyed it so much, we went back after
Sofia's last day as Kiddie Crew so
she could pick out her own mochi balls.
While they also have an assortment of Premium Mochi Balls,
We were happy enough to get our usual favorites.


Gavino's 
Granada
Unit 5, Greenhills Town Center, 2 Granada Street,
Brgy. Valencia, Quezon City
(T) +63 2 477 9275
(M) +63 922 853 8076

No comments:

Post a Comment