Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Craving for Din Tai Fung and settling for ShiLin

Sofia surprised me last weekend when she saw my post on a Xiao Long Bao shop window in Shanghai and she asked me if we can eat Xiao Long Bao (Soupy Pork Dumplings) because she was really, really craving. I know she enjoys Xiao Long Bao but I've never heard her ask for it before, until she started explaining to me that she wanted to eat at the Xiao Long Bao place we always go to that has the yummy Pork Chop and Egg Fried Rice. I was confused until I realized she meant Din Tai Fung, which used to be one of our favorite restaurants in Singapore, and also in Taipei as well.

Since I has no idea where to find similar food in Manila, we spent the night searching online for places with both Xiao Long Bao and Pork Chop with Egg Fried Rice until we found ShiLin. The pictures online looked similar enough so we decided to have lunch at Podium after enrolling in school so we could try it out.

Shilin is on the level of The Podium.
The only problem is that we were both not yet hungry
since we both had breakfast in the car, and enrollment
did not take long at all.
We went to Toy Kingdom and saw the other Sofia.

When we ran out of shops to go to, we decided to snack on Xiao Long Bao instead (since we can't take it home), then order our Pork Chop and Egg Fried Rice for a late lunch at home.
The menu was promising. Parang Din Tai Fung yun peg.
The interior of the place was simple and nice but I was falling asleep
since we work up so early.
So I was very happy to see they had Drip Coffee
which seemed to be a specialty.
Sofia and I only ordered 6 pcs Xiao Long Bao since we were both
not hungry. It was gone in no time!
This little girl is so happy!

Sofia is actually the best person to share an order of Xiao Long Bao with, if you're trying to limit your carbs.

Here is how we eat the Xiao Long Bao:
We carefully extract the soup.
This is her favorite part!
Then she eats the skin.
And I get the dumpling! Hooray!
Do this again 5 more times...
Then the Pork Chop Rice came. Sofia was so excited, she started eating
it too! No late lunch for her.
We weren't sure how big one serving was, but it's quite generous.
So we ordered additional Pork Chop. It was a bit on the sweet side,
and it was less peppery and quite tough compared to Din Tai Fung.
But if you eat it with the Egg Fried Rice, it will do.
We're clearly not in danger of starving.
The best part about ShiLin is the coffee (vs Din Tai Fung)
They slowly pour the water, until you get 1 cup.
The lady offered me more, but I said I prefer my coffee stronger.
They give you heated milk, and sugar on the side, but the coffee was
good enough I could take it with just muscovado.
Lunch was reasonably priced at Php650 (less than SG$20)
This is MUCH cheaper than DTF!!! Hahaha.
That was a fun Saturdate!

My mini-me is a foodie just like me!!! just saying.


Shi Lin
3/F The Podium, 18 ADB Ave
Wack Wack, Mandaluyong
(02) 477-4108

No comments:

Post a Comment