Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Portobello Road Film Locations for Notting Hill the Movie

If you're like my dad, and you prefer visiting Film Locations to Museums, then Portobello Road in London would be a must visit for you if you loved Notting Hill, the movie starring Julia Roberts and my forever crush, Hugh Grant, with his lovely British accent.

Since I was lucky enough to find accommodations at the heart of Portobello Road market, I decided to visit the iconic film locations again. (Yes, AGAIN, since I did this with my family when we were in London in 2000, the year after Notting Hill was shown after we read a feature on it in Time Out London).

This is the iconic blue door to the flat where
Hugh Grant's character lived.
Me in front of the iconic blue door.
You can find the blue door at 280 Westbourn Park Road, just off Portobello's Fruit and Vegetable Market. Interestingly, this was the flat of the film's screenwriter Richard Curtis. I think he's been able to sell his flat for an exorbitant amount since then. 

Just around the corner is the fruit and vegetable stand where William
Thacker bumps into Anna Scott.
This is also where Hugh Grant (William Thacker) grabs an orange juice and a coffee at the start of the film, but it's now a Coffee Republic instead of a small neighborhood coffee shop.

The "Travel Book Company" owned by William Thacker on Portobello Road
doesn't really exist. This location used to be a lot of other things,
including a shoe shop with the film's name that has since closed down.

There used to be a "Travel Bookshop" off Portobello Road on Blenheim Crescent, which inspired William Thacker's bookshop in the film but this closed in 2011, but is now open again as The Notting Hill Bookshop.



While not in any way the original "Travel Bookshop" or the bookshop from the film, this place really gives of the Notting Hill film location-vibe.
They have the more than 10 years old movie poster,
together with Julia and Hugh Grant masks for £1.99.
When I was there, a group of American tourist came in excitedly exclaiming --- we found the shop! We found the shop from the film! Hahahaha.

They have a travel nook,
right next to the Children's nook.

I actually found the book shop, which led to to this walk along Notting Hill memory lane, when I was googling store locations of Book Warehouse, one of my favorite book discount stores in London. The Book Warehouse website said they also owned the Notting Hill Bookshop, just a few blocks away from where I was staying so I didn't even have to go to Notting Hill Gate (around 20 minutes away by foot).

Book Warehouse in Notting Hill Gate
I love this store because it's like Banana BookShop
my favorite shop in Covent Garden before it closed.
Aside from discounted books, they have a wide assortment of discounted knickknacks. I was looking for a Book Warehouse on my last day in London because I wanted to buy Thank You Cards for my landlords because I forgot to bring the ones I had printed with my blog logo.

I walked out with the Coolest Pop-Up Cards from
The Notting Hill Bookshop.
My Thank You Card for Julie, my landlady in Portobello Road.
The cards were so cool, that after I used one, I just knew I had to go back to the bookshop and buy the other designs they had. They had 3 so I got them all. I told Fi I was getting them for her but I would be using 1 from each pack.

This is my Thank You Card for my landlord in Florence.
This is my Thank You Card for my landlady in Paris, in French,
and with flowers because she kept on feeding me really good meals.

I would definitely recommend that you visit these places on a Saturday, so you can also enjoy Portobello Road Market at it's liveliest. That way you can either grab some antiques, some souvenirs, or some cool junk from my favorite discount bookstore. just saying.

The Notting Hill Bookshop
13 Blenheim Crescent
Notting Hill
W11 2EE
020 7229 5260
Hours:
Monday to Saturday – 09:00 – 19:00
Saturday – 08:30 – 19:00
Sunday – 10:00 – 18:00

No comments:

Post a Comment