Friday, May 30, 2014

L'avant Comptoir

This time around, I only had 3 days in Paris, so even before leaving, I did my research well on where I wanted to eat, what days some restaurants were closed, and which places needed reservations.

The output was a list of places for more meals than I actually had. So I had to prioritize the restaurants I wanted to visit for sure, and which places I was flexible about.

L'avant Comptoir falls in the first category.  In fact, I was so excited to try it, it was on my itinerary for dinner just after I arrived from Florence at around 6pm. The plan was to just leave my things at the flat, then go out for a light dinner.

L'avant Comptoir is an Hors d'Oeuvres bar,
the French version of a Tapas Bar.
They have a take out counter at the entrance.
Then you're welcomed by this pig.
The place is Standing Room Only and it's very crowded.
There's also a pig's head mounted on the wall.
The only menu available is hanging from the ceiling.
You need to do your research before hand, so you know what you really
MUST order. Then you can just look around and point to what others are eating.
You'll need to elbow your way through the bar to get space.
Then wait for someone to pay attention.

These were the things on my MUST TRY list: 
Ham and Artichoke Waffles
Macaron de Boudin Noir (Blood Sausage Macaron)
It was my first time to try Blood Sausage. It's quite good.
Softer than a normal sausage, with each bite giving a burst of flavor
that goes really well with the slightly sweet macaron shells.
But I really came here for the Brochette Foie Gras Piquillos.
(Foie Gras and Pimiento on a stick)
This was literally to die for. I couldn't resist a selfie.
Worth the trip. Best first meal in Paris ever!
Just a word of caution: if you're like me, who enjoys the food,
but the drink - not so much, the server (on the left) gets quite sarcastic.
Good thing, I have thick skin and I just enjoyed my meal.
The food is very affordable.
(In fact, it's quite cheap for Paris - and this is St. Germain!) So I get it
when the server gets sarcastic when you don't order expensive drinks.
L'avant Comptoir is the younger sibling of Le Comptoir, right beside,
another highly recommended restaurant in Paris, where you need to
make reservations months in advance.

My first dinner in Paris was one of the best ones I've had, and it was really value for money too. Just a word of caution, since you're eating mostly Hors D' Ouevres, don't come on an empty stomach. It was perfect for me because my wonderful landlady made me zucchini soup which I had as midnight snack when I started getting hungry. Another great idea would be to have a light dinner here, and have a Buerre et Sucre (Butter and Sugar) Crepe for dessert. just saying.


L'avant Comptoir
3 Carrefour de l' l'Odéon
75006 Paris, France
+33 1 44 27 07 97

No comments:

Post a Comment