Monday, April 2, 2012

Face Mask Virgin no more

In my previous post on Myeongdong (the cosmetics capital of Seoul) which you can read about here, I talked about all the freebies we received (even without buying anything) and how much I was tempted to buy face masks despite my very basic face regimen which is only Facial Wash and Moisturizer (as required).

The "window shopping gift" strategy in Myeongdong was actually quite effective on me because the first thing I did when I got back from Myeongdong the first night we went there was I tried the face mask I received as a window shopping gift to see if I liked it and if I actually would use face masks.

We all know the result!!!

Here was how my experiment went:

Materials Required: Freebie Mask (from my Day 1 Loot)
After your shower, put on the mask (that looks like a face shaped wet wipe),
and leave on for 15-20 minutes.
Pat dry once mask is removed.
This is my after picture.
Conclusion: Sheet masks are easy to use (+). It was really refreshing when I had it on (+), I have no idea if I got the desired benefits out of it (+/-), but it felt like I my skin was so much softer afterwards (+).

Now, the problem was that I used a freebie that I didn't plan to buy. Hahaha. 

I wanted to buy this because it was the best value.
So I searched for "Korea Face Masks" on google, and what do you know... my favorite video blogging stars Simon and Martina from eatyourkimchi.com came up!!!

and the icing on the cake was that they reviewed the mask I wanted to buy... Hooray!!!
The reviews weren't great, but they didn't diss it either, and I know they are totally capable of dissing something they don't like. The mask went immediately into my "to buy list".

My second problem was that there were so many variants, I didn't know what to buy. So I searched for "Korea Face Masks Different Benefits" and I found a GroupOn Deal in Malaysia for the exact same brand!!!

The deal was RM35 for a set of 10 masks from RM100!
photo credit: GroupOn Malaysia

Even on deal, it was so much more expensive than the price in Korea... so my second dilemma was solved. Buy all interesting looking variants. Hahaha.

Myeongdong Day 2 Shopping!
Not only did I buy, I got both of my friends to buy 50 masks each too. 
Part of my freebie stash on the second night were Bunny Pens that I was collecting from Sofia.
It's the gift you get for buying from the saem (of wise beauty --- i swear, that's what it says on the bag, just like in Korean stationary) where I got the cute hand cream.
When I realized you got one for every purchase, I kept on buying hand cream from different branches to get more bunny colors for Fif.
When I didn't want to buy more hand cream, I realized it was cheaper to ask my friend to buy a Jelly Mask (KRW1,000) to get the last bunny color.

and since I was curious, I did a Jelly Mask experiment on the second night:

The instructions were in Korean so I had to wing it.
I put a thin layer on my face and let it dry for 15 minutes, then I washed it off.
The after glow.

Conclusion: The jelly mask was sticky to put on and I wasn't sure if I put on enough because half the jelly was left in the pack (but the pack looked like it was disposable - thus implying it was only for one use) anyway, that's a clear (-). There were times when it felt like my skin was heating up - so it might be tightening? (+/-), I have no idea if I got the desired benefits out of it (+/-), but it felt like I my skin was soft, but not as soft as when I used the sheet mask (-). Bottom line, it did not make me want to go back to Myeongdong to buy more.

There it is, my face mask experiment :) If you want to win some face masks... please join my Beauty Giveaway here because I will be throwing in some... if you win, you can even choose the variants you want to receive! 

2 comments:

  1. hi nicole! it's always fun reading your blogs. very succint and interesting account of events and what not - so relatable :) -karen yu

    P.S. we haven't met up yet...sayang you were in korea when we had a mini get together of our batchmates here in sg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen :) let me know the next time you guys are meeting up so I can join if I'm here. hey, leave a message on my other post, so you can join in the beauty giveaway :)

      Delete