Friday, April 20, 2012

Yet another Foodie Weekend in MNL

Before I start writing this post, let me first admit that My-One-Meal-a-day-Plan failed! Hahaha.

As usual, the few days that I was home was filled with meeting up with friends... and of course, all those meetings took place over meals. I had quite a lot of Japanese food on this trip, some new gossip, great company and a whole lot of fun. Thanks to everyone who went out of their way to meet up with us.

Here are our pictures from last weekend.

I was able to meet up with my friend Alvy for lunch on the day after I started my one-meal-a-day-plan. The lunch wasn't really planned, so I thought I was just testing the limits.

We had lunch at Omakase.
I requested to eat here because I was craving for Spicy Tuna Salad.
Php215 (SG$6.30)
We ordered Beef Teppan. Php325 (SG$9.55)
Alvy and I used to be team mates before, and our team loved steak in any form!
Alvy also ordered Chirashi (sushi selection on rice) and she kindly donated all the tamago to me.
Php270 (SG$8)

Alvy treated me to lunch because we were celebrating her good news.  Thanks again for lunch! Let's catch up again the next time I'm back. 

Another friend who we used to work with was also supposed to join us, but she got caught up with work and errands (including mine) that she was not able to make it. So I just met with her so I could get the Caramel Cake (I was really craving for) that I asked her to pick up since we were meeting for lunch anyway. 

Yummy Caramel Cake from Estrel's with Butter Icing.
It's even better when the butter icing flowers are bigger.
Round Cake with filling Php600 (SG$17.60)
Sofia and I were half-heartedly looking for an reason to celebrate, so we decided to make
Happy Birthday Ninang Jem and Ninong Tim signs!
It was really good.
Thanks for buying it Din! :)


The only meal that I planned for that day was a dinner playdate for Sofia with Andie and Yonzo at Yabu. I heard about Yabu when it newly opened and I was in Manila last December but I had no desire or energy to battle the last minute Christmas Shopping rush or the long line of people who also wanted to try it.

I heard that Yabu was the Manila equivalent of Saboten (Japanese Tonkatsu Chain that's really good).
Save for the way it looks. There is NO comparison.
I normally eat in Tonkatsu Restaurants because I love the bottomless salad.
Finely shredded cabbage with Goma (sesame) Dressing.
The dressing in Yabu tastes like watered-down mayo with a hint of Goma Dressing.
It was really bad. Just Saying.
To be fair, the tonkatsu was OK and the prices are reasonable.
Hire (Pork Tenderloin) and Seafood Katsu Php425 (SG$12.50)
I ordered both the Chicken Katsu and the Rosu (Pork Loin with Fat) Set to share between me, yaya and Sofia.
Rosu Katsu Set 90 grams Php280 (SG$8.25)
Chicken Katsu Set 120 grams Php290 (SG$8.50)
Anna ordered Rosu Katsudon for Yonzo (who still refuses to look at the camera).
Php 265 (SG$7.80)
Jumbo Prawn ala carte Php150 (SG$4.40)
I found this to be on the pricey side, but this was the only thing Fif wanted to eat.
Two of them!
They attempt to add aunthenticity by providing sesame seeds for grinding.
The tonkatsu sauce that you add to the sesame seeds.
Anna grinding sesame seeds.
The two little gaya-gaya puto mayas (copycats).
Abandoned sesame seeds.
They just wanted to grind. 
These are the other sauces (including the Goma dressing wannabe).
I forgot to use the pink salt!
I might just come back to try it. Hahaha.
Hans arrived in time to join us and he ordered the Premium Tonkatsu Set.
120g of Kurobota Pork Php515 (SG$15.15)
I actually liked the dessert best.

All the orders (except for the ala carte)  come  with salad (unlimited refills), a bowl of rice, miso soup and fruit for dessert. It's actually very good value as the Premium Tonkatsu set only costs approximately half of the cheapest set meal from Saboten in Singapore. I will probably consider going back, but only if I remember to bring my own Goma dressing. Just Saying.

We were chatting so much at dinner that the kids only had time to go to Toy Kingdom quickly before the mall closed. I gave them a budget of Php100 each and I told them that they could find something they wanted to buy. They all bought picnic mats. We are using ours for our Eiffel Tower picnic, so watch out for our tales of that.

Some day, Yonch will probably get even for all this manhandling called a group hug.

The following day, we had brunch with an aunt and my siblings and another Japanese dinner.

Brunch was at Flapjacks in Greenhills.

I wore the shirt from Jem because I wanted a picture with all the fake bags.
I was pretty good considering I had the American Breakfast for two meals (breakfast AND lunch).

Except for the fact that we had to cool down with dessert since it was a really hot and humid Summer Day in Manila. I never realized Milky Way had really good local desserts.

This is my aunt's order of Halo-Halo (literally translated to mean Mix-Mix).
They layer beans, gulaman (local jelly), coco strips (Nata de Coco), purple yam jam and tapioca (you can actually put anything), then add crushed ice, milk and top with ice cream (optional).
Aerial view of the Halo Halo.

I actually opted to go for the less known but equally as good Ginumis.
It has a coconut cream base (instead of milk) and it is mostly gulaman (local jelly) and pinipig (rice crispies). 

Dinner was with my friends from High School to celebrate Cha's birthday was at Yutaka Izakaya, a hole in the wall Japanese place that we have heard good things about.

Stand alone restaurant on Aurora Blvd.
It used to be quite isolated so to be on the same, best not to wear any flashy jewelry.
We hitched a ride with Vice so Sofia was able to squeeze in a playdate with Viele.
We were the only ones who arrived on time.
We got an order of Tendon each for the kids. Php160 (SG$4.50)
Three pieces shrimp tempura and three pieces veggies on top of white rice.
We ordered California Maki.
It was less than Php100 (SG$3) for 8 pieces.
We ordered the Sushi Platter to share.
They recommended the Beef Teppanyaki to me, but I was not happy. It was a puny serving and sweet.
They also have udon. Tim ordered beef with Tempura on the side.
High School friends with hubbies and kids at Yakuta.

Thanks for dinner Cha! :)

We flew back to Singapore the next day, then I flew straight to London. It was tiring but nothing beats being home and spending time with family and friends. Just Saying.

OMAKASE
Unit 207 Interpid Plaza Building
E. Rodriguez Jr. Avenue, Libis
Quezon City, Metro Manila
Philippines
(02) 437-0075

ESTREL's Caramel Cakes
54 Sct. Tobias cor. Sct. Limbaga
Brgy. Laging Handa
Quezon City, Metro Manila
Philippines
(02) 372-2965

YABU: House of Katsu
2/F, SM Megamall
Julia Vargas Ave
Mandaluyong City, Metro Manila
Philippines
(02) 576-3900


FLAPJACKS

F & B Arts Plaza, Theater Mall Greenhills
San Juan City, Metro Manila
Philippines
(02) 584-0639


YUTAKA IZAKAYA
GF 41D Unit-X Aurora Arcade
Aurora Blvd,  Quezon City
Philippines
(02) 713-6558

No comments:

Post a Comment