Saturday, April 14, 2012

My past life as a Parisian

I lived in Paris a few years ago. Since then, I have always felt that part of me belonged there. especially my heart! hahaha. If I could choose anywhere in the world where I could live, I will always say Paris, crossing my fingers that I will be rich enough at that time to afford to have helpers and maintain the same standard of living that we enjoy in Asia.

Here are some snippets from my past life. I just lived in Paris for six months, but looking back, it feels like I was there forever. I enjoyed life so much that try as I might, I can't even fit everything in one post. So I will write about our trips to the French countryside as a sequel to this one. Then if I am still in a reflective mood, I may just expand that to write about the trips we took to nearby countries. As I was looking through the pictures, it sure felt like I lived there for six years!


My home

I lived in a charming Parisian flat in the 17th Arrondissement. It was a fifteen minute walk away from Arc de Triomphe.
I lived in the flat with a blue door.
Tim thought my address was #6 RUE street. 
This is the inside of the blue door.
It looks very old world.
I got a lot of exercise because it was a 4th floor walk up.
The door starts on the 3rd floor (in Paris ground is 0)
but I still had a private flight of stairs once you entered the door. 
When you finally reach the top floor, this is my main hallway.
I had a fully equipped cheery kitchen and separate storage room (not in  picture).
It was only a one bedroom flat.
But I had a very big living room. This was only half of it.
The other half has the dining table.
My bathroom was also very big and I remember it had heated towel racks.
The washing machine which I rarely used was also placed in the bathroom.
This was my dining table in the other half of the living room.
The morning sun was really nice, but it was really hot in summer.
There were even some days when I prepared dinner for my guests.
Evidence that I was 'trained' by the chef at the Hyatt.
He will disavow any knowledge of me when he realizes that my signature dish (to this very day) is
Salade de Tomates et Mozzarella which I served together with Supermarket bought quiche and chinese take away noodles. 
The menu gets more impressive when my sous chef (my mom) steps in.
My flat at 60sqm was on the big side for a single person in Paris,
but it was bursting at the seams when I had 7 guests.
Photo credit: Timmy the brother
Three of us slept in my room (that space is for me).
Five of them slept in the living room.
The challenge was sharing one bathroom but we survived.


Around Paris

I ate my best meals when Auntie Stella and her family, who was based in London then, came to visit.

At Ladurée before it became fashionable to post about it, enjoying the course before macarons.
If my memory serves me right, this was at the Baccarat Crystal Room Restaurant.
I remember they had a very fashionable Philippe Stark designed powder room but I didn't take any pictures. 
Chocoholics Unite!!!
We burned off calories by running around by the river.
That's the Louvre in the background.
This was when I was still taller than Jacob. Hahaha.
The line to enter the Louvre is always long.
If you want to enter for free, with no line, through no illegal means, message me, I know the secret.
Jacob and I were horsing around at Musée d'Orsay.
It's my favorite museum because it used to be an old train station so it has so much character.
It's popular for their extensive Impressionist collection.
Uncle Joel, me and Jacob in Rue Jacob.
Jacob also came over to visit during the summer just as I was about to move back.
I did my ninang (godmnother) duty and brought him to EuroDisney.
Jacob, when he was still called Jonah, at the Buzz Lightyear year.
I have the most handsome godchildren! Just Saying.


One of my favorite places in Paris is Montmarte.

Auntie Stell and Jacob with one of the best views of Paris.
I always bring my friends there. This is my friend Comsti with Sacre Couer behind him,
before he became a famous cook book author and chef  who opened his own neighborhood restaurant in Manila.
Me and Comst at the artists' square behind Sacre Couer.


A landmark that can't be missed is the La Tour Eiffel of course.

I prefer seeing it from Trocadero, then you can walk down and see it from the ground.
I always knew Comst was tall, but I didn't know he's THAT tall.
I absolutely LOVE having a picnic by La Tour Eiffel.
This is dinner, the sun just sets really late in summer.
This was when Timmy was NOT yet fat.
La Tour Eiffel a nuit.


It's also nice to go to the Jardins.

Jardin des Tuleries is between the Louvre and Place dela Concorde (sorry no picture).
The trick is to find the reclined park seats. Not all of them are this comfortable.

It was in Paris, I learned that Museums can be fun.

In front of Centre Georges Pompidou.

C'est tout, mes amis! J'aime Paris beaucoup. Juste dire.

No comments:

Post a Comment