Friday, June 6, 2014

Bistrot Paul Bert for Truffles and Eggs and Steak Frites in Paris

Before leaving for Europe, I did my research on where I wanted to eat. I married my itinerary with the days the restaurants are closed, and I made sure I had reservations for places that require it, Bistrot Paul Bert in the 11th Arrondisement included. They don't take reservations by email, so you really need to call them.

Bistrot Paul Bert is highly recommended on a lot of the Paris food blogs I've read. They've been mentioned for their to die for Eggs and Truffles and their Steak Frites has been included as one of the Top 5 in Paris, where L'Entrecote also belongs. You can read my post on that here

Bistrot Paul Bert is a popular bistrot on Rue Paul Bert

By definition, a bistrot (from it's Parisian origins) is a small restaurant serving moderately-priced simple meals, typically French home-style cooking. Historically, they developed in apartments where the landlord prepared food, for their tenants who paid room and board, then it evolved in opening their kitchen to the public.

The place is quite dark with an old school French Bistrot charm.
Even the decor adds to the old school ambiance.
Typical of French Bistrots, they have a couple of chalkboard menus,
that they bring to the table when it's time to order.
Bistrot Paul Bert is also popular because of their
affordable lunch menu.

Since I was super feeling French, I didn't even ask for an English menu or an interpreter and I ordered right away. I ordered oeufs avec Truffe noir (eggs with truffle) for my starter and Entrecote de boeuf (steak) for my main.

Everyone gets bread while the food is prepared, but I didn't touch mine.
I was expecting this... which is what I've been salivating over when I was
doing my research.
but I seemed to have missed the a la mayonnaise on the starter, or I must have assumed that there must be mayonnaise in the sauce...
Because I got this instead.
While I was disappointed, you really can't go wrong with Truffle
and Egg.
Especially when the servings are so generous, that there is a truffle
for every bite!
In hindsight, it might have been a blessing in disguise, because it went
really well with the side salad that it was served with.

Bistrot Paul Bert is known as serving one of the best Steak Frites in Paris.
My entrecote came with Fries (which I didn't touch)
and Bernaise Sauce on the side.
Since I ordered in French, there might have been some confusion,
as the steak I got was a bit too done. I guess moyenne,
which is medium for size is not the right word for medium in steak. 
It's nothing that good salt can't redeem.
I will take salt over bearnaise any day. But they also go well together.

For dessert, I decided to go all out French.
I ordered the Grand Marnier Souffle.
Me and my souffle, while I was planning where to go next.
The souffle was perfectly cooked, with just a light touch of the orange
flavored liquor, but I couldn't really eat more than the
allowable TRA cheat-size portion because I finished my first two courses.
Set lunch is so reasonable at 38, but this does not include wine.
I was very happy with my decadent lunch at Bistrot Paul Bert, but I think, the next time I go back, I will just show the waiter a picture of the sunny-side-up truffle eggs I want to try, as well as a pink steak, while I speak to him in French, of course! just saying.


Bistrot Paul Bert
18 Rue Paul Bert
75011 Paris
tel: 01.43.72.24.01
Metro: Faidherbe-Chaligny
Tu-Sat: 12pm-2pm / 7.30pm-11pm
Closed on Sunday, Monday and one month in summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment