Sunday, July 12, 2015

3 Day Paris Itinerary for repeat visits

Singapore Airlines currently has an offer for discounted tickets, Paris included, for travel next year and I am so tempted to book flights for Sofia and myself.

I really love Paris. I try to go back every year if I can, though unfortunately, I've only managed to bring Sofia once because she either has school, or I'm just too lazy to apply for a visa for her as mine is still valid. Though I want her to travel to Europe more, on the off chance that she might decide she wants to study and live there in the future!

Here is what I normally do when I visit Paris for a short trip.

I normally stay in the Montmartre area, so the Sacre Couer, and the pattisseries and fromageries along Rue Lepic is just a hop and a skip away.


Marsh
3rd and 4th Arrondissements on the Right Bank of the Seine
The Marais has a lot of posh looking Vintage Stores, though I really don't
know who their market is for LV and Chanel at those prices.
The second hand stores selling by the KiloKilo are also in the Marais.


Walk along the Seine 
There's a lot to see from the Louvre and D'Orsay Museums to Notre Dame and Saint Michel
There was some sort of demonstration in front of
Saint Michel.
I was only confident enough to get close and take a photo because I saw
there was police watching them from across the street.

Walk from Jardin de Tuileries to Tour Eiffel
Scenic walk with great view of Place dela Concorde, Madeleine, Arc de Triomphe, Tour Eiffel, etc


Paris Food Favorites (not in any particular order)

Breizh Cafe for the Best Crepes!
Reservations required, or try your luck at the epicerie beside which serves the same menu.
You can read more about Breizh Cafe here.

GROM
One of the best gelato places in Italy.
You can ignore this one if you're planning to go, but totally great to have it in Paris if you're not.
You can read about the best gelato places in Florence here.


STEAK
For the Best Steak Frites (secret sauce included), visit Le Relais de l'Entrecote
You can read my post on that here.

For the Best Steak (quality and value), visit Atelier Vivanda, a Michelin Bib Gourmand.
You can read my post on that here.


FATTY LIVER 
For everything Foie Gras, Au Petit Sud Ouest is the place to go. Reservations Required.
You can read about that here.
Cholesterol Heaven
Goat Cheese Salad with Pan Seared Foie Gras cooked with Truffle
Another place I want to call out for Foie Gras is L'Avant Comptoir, for their exceptional Foie Gras Broschette. You can read about that here.


Leon's for the best mussels, cooked any way you prefer!
You can read my post on Leon de Bruxelles here.


For Sweets 
Angelina for Chocolat Chaud and pastries, you can read about that here.

For Macarons, Pierre Herme is the best - hands down!
You can read my review vs Laduree here.


For Traditional French Food, we really enjoyed Wepler.
You can read my post on that here.

Though, I've heard about Les Cocottes, and it's on my to try list for next trip.

 ...and ironically, McDonald's makes it to the list if we need a quick lunch, or if they have a nice Happy Meal toy for Sof.


Shopping
I always try to visit La Vallee Village in Val d'Europe (RER A - one stop before Parc Disneyland).
They are open on Sundays - when all the other stores are closed.
The first thing I do is visit the Customer Service Booth, to pick up discount
coupons which they give to members. Remember to sign up online before coming.

The advantage of visiting La Vallee Village not on a Sunday, is you can pass through the shopping mall to get there.
They have a big toy store where I was able to buy a crepe
maker which has come in very handy.
You can read about it here.
I also thought it was interesting to see Nail Polish vending machines.
They also have Hema, the wasteland of cute stuff, in this mall.
You can read about Hema here.

If you're only in Paris for a few days, and don't really have any specific thing in mind to buy, the easiest way to shop for the higher end brands is to visit the Grand Magasins. In the Opera - Haussman Area, you have Galeries Lafayette and Printemps.

You can also visit Le Bon Marche, if you're on the other side of the city.


On the more affordable edge of the spectrum, Primark finally has opened in Paris, but it's just a bit far by Metro (imagine going to the end of line 8). However, it's still a good option to get your Primark fix, if you don't plan to visit London. The good thing is Primark is located in a mall where there are other nice shops, so it's worth travelling the distance.

For my staples, I normally stock up on Galette Bretonnes, Palmiers, and Nespresso Capsules! Nespresso Capsules are more than 50%
And sucker for a sale that I am, I normally buy the big box to get the free.
Last trip, I got the capsule holder and a set of espresso cups!
My luggage sort of looks like a grocery cart. Hahaha.

Some other totally French things I can't resist including...
Beware of the old Metro trains.
You need to open the door yourself by twisting the knob.
I never can resist checking out the real estate agencies renting -
and selling apartments. I want one someday!

Writing this post has helped me decide. I'm going back to Paris with Sofia next year. just saying.

Ă  bientĂ´t!

No comments:

Post a Comment