Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Yummy Vietnamese Food

Everyday since we arrived, I've been eating and enjoying Vietnamese Food (except for today - because I was too busy for lunch, then I was just craving for a shawarma which I had for an early dinner). Every time I need to decide what to eat, I lean towards Vietnamese Fresh Spring Rolls (though I sometimes give in and order the Fried ones) or I opt to eat Pho. My no carb diet doesn't consider local food options in the restriction because my philosophy is - when you're in Rome, or Saigon as the case maybe... eat as the Romans do!!!

My Vietnamese friend recommended Wrap and Roll for Spring Rolls.
They have a lot of branches.
You can order any kind of roll you want, or the components - and roll them yourself.
We only ordered the rolls.
Grilled pork roll. Yummm...
Rolls of vermicelli, prawn and a sliver of meat in greens.
Minced pork roll topped with pork floss. This was good too.
The more familiar Prawn Fresh Spring Rolls.
They served a different sauce for every kind of roll we ordered.
My favorite is Grilled Pork Roll with this sweet salty sauce.
They also had Pandan Chicken and sticky rice.
I ordered this for Fif.
Grilled pork chop and what they call broken rice (which looks like normal white rice).
I also ordered this for Fif (to share with yaya) for insurance.
I wanted to try the famous Vietnamese Coffee.
Word of advice, if you don't dilute it in ice and milk, a gulp is as strong as a vodka shot!
To give you an idea of the cost of the local food, an order of spring rolls costs approximately SG$2.50-3.00 (around Php100), the main course dishes are less than SG$4.00 (around Ph130), but the drinks costs the same or more than an order of Spring Rolls. A meal for three adults and one four year old where we were all so full cost us less than SG$30 from Wrap & Roll


Moving on to the Pho Front (pardon the pun)

I've only been able to order Pho from the food court because it's not easy to get Sofia to agree to eat in Vietnamese Restaurants. The food court in the mall is always a good compromise for dinner because we get to eat what we want, then shop a bit afterwards.

After craving for Pho, I finally got to order some Beef Pho.
45,000VND (less than SG$3 or Php100)
Rice noodles can't be carbs! They actually melt in your mouth!
I love Pho with all the garnish with a sprinkling of lime.
Sofia loves the Shanghai Fried Spring Rolls so I tried to get her to try this.
80,000VND (SG$5 or Php160). I thought it was pricey ~ but only in comparison to the Pho.
I didn't realize it was not a side dish, but an actual meal in itself.
I think the probably thought I was a pig.
I really loved soaking it in the dipping sauce,
then wrapping it in lettuce, garnished with mint and parsley.

Today I didn't have any local food... but writing this post makes me want to go back to regular Vietnamese Food programming starting tomorrow. I am in Vietnam, so I will eat as the Vietnamese do! and hopefully, get as slim as them in the process. Just Saying.



1 comment:

  1. Your blog about Vietnamese food is really awesome and this food looks delicious .I like Vietnamese cuisine food very much and i have tried many vietnamese recipes which i got from youtube and many other website. I like visiting Vietnamese restaurants in weekend.

    ReplyDelete