Saturday, March 24, 2012

Overrated Brunch @ Wild Honey

SINGAPORE SERIES

I love breakfast food, but since i am not really a morning person, I refer to breakfast food eaten anytime of the day other than in the morning, as brunch. 

I love brunch. It's even more comforting when you're suffering from jet lag because you can just go to a nice cozy cafe at 5pm and enjoy breakfast food. It magically gives any day a weekend feel as it brings back memories of sleeping in late, then having a lazy brunch with family or friends on the balcony. 

I flew in past midnight the day before yesterday from Australia, and with all the unpacking I had to do, I didn't manage to see my bed until 3am. Jet lag woke me up at 9am with a splitting head ache, so after making sure I cleared my inbox of anything that might possibly explode in my face, I dragged myself back to bed until Tim woke me up in the afternoon and we had to go out to hunt for food as it's normally not available in my home after a long trip, and even more so when Sofia's nanny is not here to take care of us.

We decided we wanted to try Wild Honey, a brunch place in Mandarin Gallery that I've heard mixed reviews about.

tagline not seen in pic which I felt was apt:
No place like home
If you arrive at 5pm, there are no queues and service is fast
The place is cozy.
We chose to sit on a couch beside each other, observing the whole place from our table.
You need to go to the counter to place your order and pay.
They have a chalkboard (no pics allowed) and iPad menu.
They also have a magazine wall with current international mags.
Vogue Paris (mars 2012) and my first cup of coffee at 5pm cappuccino was heaven
Cappuccino SG$6++ (Php204++)
waiting for our food
photo credit: timothy see
Tunisian: Sizzling pan of stewed tomatoes with Chorizo and fried eggs
SG$18++ (Php613++)
Sweet Morning: Grilled Mango filled french toast with mascarpone and berry compote
SG$18++ (Php613++)

We asked them to recommend their best savoury and best sweet dish. There food looks so much nicer than it tastes. If that's the best they have to offer, I don't want to try the rest. Just Saying.

I think it was weird that for a breakfast place, they did not even serve butter.
You need to ask for it.
Butter and sea salt made everything taste better. But it was still very ordinary.
Just Saying,
They had a strawberry cake I wanted to try.
You could help yourself to chocolate easter eggs.
Thanks for brunch Tim!!!

Overall, I liked the place, but I would never come back because I was craving for the food. Our bill for two mains and one coffee was $49++. I think that's too much to pay for food that's normal at best (I mean, how can you disaster brunch right?!). I would probably come back if I wanted to have coffee and read Vogue Paris, and maybe try the cake. Just Saying.

WILD HONEY
Mandarin Gallery
333a Orchard Road, 3rd Floor
9am-10pm 
They do not accept reservations
You may visit their website here
Remember the pictures are really nice and will make you hungry,
but they over-promise and under-deliver. Just Saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment