Friday, March 23, 2012

The Shopping Lottery at ALDI

I know ALDI as the famous hard discount chain from Germany. I have visited an ALDI store in Hamburg, as well as the ALDI in Saint-Ouen in Paris, because it was quite near the office where I worked for six glorious months of my life.

The only thing I remember about ALDI is that if you see something you like, you need to buy it immediately, because chances are it won't be there when you come back for it. I wasn't really planning on shopping in ALDI on this trip, but out of curiosity, I dragged my aunt to check it out. We went to the branch in St. Mary's closest to her home.

I bought so much stuff that I that did not even know or I probably DON'T that I needed.

Silicone brownie pans in PURPLE!!!
I only wanted to buy one, but it looked so good with the pink one I had to buy both.
AU$3.99 each (SG$5.35 or Php182)
Pizza Pan with holes to make the crust crisp for my mom
AU$2.99 each (SG$4 or Php 136)
Disposable Champagne Flutes for Tim's Weekend Wagyu Dinners
I could not resist getting the Violet Boots for Fif.
I'm sure it will come in handy when we go to London, if it still fits when we finally live in Paris,
or maybe we can just go to Japan for a food trip!
AU$7.99 each (SG$9.35 or Php 319)
My aunt got Sofia a tray of Chocolate Easter Eggs
They go really well with the crackers I got her and the egg coloring kit.

I was so happy with my loot from Aldi... until I realized that I saw a Milk Frother for AU$24.99 (SG$33.30) which I forgot all about when I went back for more Pizza Pans. It looked so much like the Nespresso Milk Frother that I wanted but cost SG$200 at that price, I didn't want it!!! So I googled it and I found out that Aldi has recently launched it's own version of the Nespresso machine and it's dirt cheap (AU$79.90 or just a little bit more than SG$100).

photo credit: www.expressi.com.au
photo credit: www.expressi.com.au

I'm so tempted to buy it but I have managed to convince myself that there are many reasons why I DON'T need one. 
1. I have a Nespresso Machine. 
2. I don't want to worry about sourcing the capsules that are around the same price, but you get 16 capsules, some flavors come with milk just like the Dolce Gusto capsules no idea about the quality though
3. I have a Nespresso Machine. 

Hahaha... so that solves it, but I still wanted the Milk Frother though. There are mixed reviews online. Some people are really happy with the coffee machine at that price, but some also are very unhappy with it compared to the Nespresso. I was very mature about it. I decided that I was only going to go back for it before I left, if I have enough cash to pay for it, because then, it would be like getting it for free. If it's still available in ALDI that is. If it's not, then maybe it's just not meant to be. I have a SG$2 milk frother from Daiso anyway. 

Pink Milk Frother from Daiso SG$2

The milk frother was meant to be mine. I had no more time to go back to Aldi because I finished my work early and rebooked my flight a few days earlier than planned, but my friend passed Aldi to buy it for me! Yay... Thanks Pami!

Expressi Milk Frother (Aldi Exclusive) AU$24.99 (SG$33 or Php1,121)
a similar one from Nespresso is SG$199!!!
The gel pens in the background are another last minute buy from Costco for Sofia
50 Gel Pens in a Metal Case AU$13.39 (SG$17.60 or Php600)

No comments:

Post a Comment