Monday, March 19, 2012

Queen Victoria Building

I think Heritage Sites are okay. Some look nice. But then, a building is a building is a building... but when the Heritage Site is a shopping mall, now, that's a totally different matter. It becomes so much better because it's an old building that you can appreciate and enjoy for a long time without getting bored at all.

One of the nicest old buildings in Sydney's City Center is the QVB, or Queen Victoria Building. My friend who we shall refer to as JJEB (Jay Jerrick Epping Boy as I fondly call him) brought me here when I visited him around eight years ago, and all he knew was that if we were in George Street, we'd be good. To be fair, we expected him to take us around literally a week after he moved to Epping.

In the three days total I lived in the City, I always got back from work when the shops were already closed or in the process of closing. That's actually one of the reasons why I opted to stay in the loving home of my aunt instead. But because QVB was connected to Townhall Rail Station, the one closest to us, my friend and I still went to marvel at the Heritage Site that would have been so much better to visit had the shops been open.

Rows and rows of stores in this old building
Stained Glass Windows
I love the clock hanging from the ceiling.
Even the stairs is ornate
The dome
My sister's best friend Pami, patiently waiting for me to finish admiring the building and the closed shops!
A closer look at the clock from the second floor.
This is QVB from the outside, at night.

Maybe it's a blessing in disguise for my bank account that the shops were closed. They had the higher end stores like Coach (not the outlet one!), Longchamp, Pandora, and much more. You can check out their store directory and trading hours here.

Queen Victoria Building 
455 George Street
Sydney NSW 2000

No comments:

Post a Comment