Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Project Macarons

My baking philosophy applicable only to our Singapore home is "Why bake from scratch, when there is a perfectly good mix available?". That doesn't mean that we don't bake from scratch at all... It just means that we are extra ambitious when it comes to baking from scratch. Hahaha.

Our first project, which really came out well was Red Velvet Cupcakes! After I perfected that in one go, hahaha, bilib sa sarili much, I set my sights on wanting to make French Macarons! I've researched on recipes, techniques and ingredients, but whenever I contemplate making it, I manage to convince myself that it's much easier to buy it from TWG at SG$2 a pop, with so many yummy flavors to choose from, than go through all the hassle. I previously wrote about the To Die For Macarons of TWG here.

When Pami, my friend in Sydney told me she was planning to make macarons for a party she was attending on Saturday, I immediately volunteered to help. 

This is the peg. This is what we want to make.
I conveniently had to go on a telecon for work so when I got back,
the macarons were already piped on the tray.
The future macaron queen of Australia patiently waiting for the macarons to dry.
We made the butter cream filling with coffee and salted Nutella variations while baking the shells.
For our first attempt, I must say, it's not too bad! Hahaha

Our timing is really excellent, because today, 20th March, is Jour du Macaron (World Macaron Day) started by Pierre Hermé 7 years ago in France. Other cities like New York, Toronto, Vancouver, Berlin and Hungary will be celebrating it for the first time with participating bakeries offering customers one free macaron each. That's happiness... just like Ben & Jerry's Free Cone Day! Too bad, they aren't celebrating it yet commercially in Sydney or in Singapore.

Ironically, Pierre Hermé only has a édition limitée Jour du Macaron for €49,00
(limited edition Macaron Day Promotion) 

Here are links that may come in handy if you find yourself in one of the cities celebrating this great day.

Toronto
Vancouver 

As special thanks to the readers of this blog, we will be celebrating our own macaron day!!! You can get as much macarons from our first trial batch as you want... As long as you pick it up in Ropes Crossing or in Northmead in Sydney, Australia. Hahaha...

Salted Nutella macarons
Coffee macarons

Stocks good while supplies last! Go come to Sydney na, NOW na! Just Saying. Hahaha... 

No comments:

Post a Comment